Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Binary Trees [C#]

Binary Trees [C#]

Anyone know if there is a C# object that allows you to create binary trees? I want to be able to store a picture in binary tree format. The main question is whether there is a specific tree class in C# or not. If there isn't, how does one go about creating trees?

There are a lot of data structures built in to the .NET framework, and their implementations are in the public domain. You could google them and find out what their individual implementations are and choose one that suits?

By the way, why do you "want to be able to store a picture in a binary tree format" ? What exactly do you mean? A list of pictures? Or a single picture with its binary data in the tree? If it's the former, then you could hand-write your own binary tree, this isn't a difficult thing to do, and would be a good learning exercise. If it's the latter, then I would love to know why you want to break an image up into nodes and store those nodes in a binary tree.

Are you sure you know what a binary tree is?

Quote Originally Posted by TheColonial View Post
    There are a lot of data structures built in to the .NET framework, and their implementations are in the public domain. You could google them and find out what their individual implementations are and choose one that suits?

By the way, why do you "want to be able to store a picture in a binary tree format" ? What exactly do you mean? A list of pictures? Or a single picture with its binary data in the tree? If it's the former, then you could hand-write your own binary tree, this isn't a difficult thing to do, and would be a good learning exercise. If it's the latter, then I would love to know why you want to break an image up into nodes and store those nodes in a binary tree.

Are you sure you know what a binary tree is?
    Have you ever heard of BSP (binary space partition) algorithms for image compression? There are other that uses binary trees such as quadtree, octrees, etc, but im dealing with BSP only here. Im quite new to the language, which happens to be the first one i learn so i have no idea how to go about doing this.

EDIT: I know its easier to perform the quadtree algorithm, so i was going to try out quadtree first inorder to get familiar with trees in C#.
    Last edited by gigahertz205; February 26th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Thread Information