The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: CMYK/RGB colors---->convert to pantone?

CMYK/RGB colors---->convert to pantone?

I have an Illustrator assignment due next week, and I've picked some great colors from a book I want to use. The book has the RGB/CMYK formulas, but the file has to be turned in as spot colors, not RGB or CMYK. Does anyone know a way to find the closest comparable spot color to a specific RGB/CMYK color? Or do I need to just sit there and go through all the spot colors until I find a close match? Any help would be appreciated.
    Slusho! Make you feel freezing!

I'm sure Pantones website has a online tool for this... I'm not gonna search through there site but it seems like its something they would have.

Usually you buy one of those little books. They have them at most Home Depots/Lowes and they probably sell ones for designers specifically.
    Last edited by Templarian; February 5th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

I found this link this morning that I must have missed during my first searches.

http://www.netfront.fr/Services/rgb2pantone/

Enter your RGB values and it will grab a list of the closest matching Pantone colors automatically.

Converters are fine for you to use now, but if you would use one in the professional field you might get drop kicked in the face. I personally always looked through my book.
    Signature

so here is one option not the best but find the color in photoshop then use the color window, you will notice a button called "custom" and that should give you a list of pantone colors similiar to the color you picked

Thanks. Got it all worked out. Yeah, a pantone book would have been nice, but wasn't an option for this. That online color picker, at least, put me in the neighborhood of the closest colors. Turned out ok.

hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by zao View Post
    Converters are fine for you to use now, but if you would use one in the professional field you might get drop kicked in the face. I personally always looked through my book.
    That's funny, I like flipping through a pantone book for flipping through to pick colors to start with but for locating a pantone I wouldn't think to use the naked eye to match it. I sort of thought those went out with the proportion wheel and pica pole.

http://www.netfront.fr/Services/rgb2pantone/

Enter your RGB values and it will grab a list of the closest matching Pantone colors automatically.

Also,

here is one option not the best but find the color in photoshop then use the color window, you will notice a button called "custom" and that should give you a list of pantone colors similiar to the color you picked

LucidM
    n/a

Photoshop

The best thing to do (if you have photoshop) is to click on the colour at the bottom of the tools. The usual way to make a colour. If you type in your colour in cmyk or RGB, then click on colour libraries. Then select PANTONE solid to process it should find the right pantone colour.

Photoshop ICC Profile is more helpful for digial image color correction.

Thread Information