Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: best file format (video) (not sure if this is right thread)

best file format (video) (not sure if this is right thread)

Hello all

not sure if this is in the right thread (if not code someone move it pretty please).

Whats everyones experience of file formats for video on line.

i'm building a site at the moment and need to be able to put video samples up to show. now i was leaning towards flv but my client has heard wmv and then the whole conversation on what we should use came up.

Just wondering what you lot thought on this?

Cheers

Ew, please don't use wmv. It may work well on Windows but it's a pain on Mac and Linux.

Personally I like when sites use .mov (h.264 ftw ) or .mpg

But flv is definitely a valid option.

Flash Video is the BEST for internet second is the .mov esspecially for HD movies (h.264)... really don't put your video in any other format.

Always if you have the option use flash. But flash can play h.264 formatted video now so... i'd say always use flash. (update flash CS3 and you should see a new component from what i've heard... I don't work with flash so i could be wrong).
    Last edited by Templarian; January 31st, 2008 at 02:08 PM.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

I'm on a mac you see as well no real issues with any. But i'm thinking of the user base brides with low end computers and technophobes.

I think i may push for flv's then. cheers

Thread Information