Thread: [help] Query from two tables?

[help] Query from two tables?

I'm wondering how to go about this? I'm not sure if its even possible or if I need to use a join or something?

Im using a search facility on my page. When a user types something into the search box I need it to search inside two separate tables. Can this be done?

The results for the query will be run inside a while statement.

For the one table I will need to find users names and the other one picture titles.

I would really appreciate any help?

Dot syntax for multiple tables

when you run your query, there is a dot-joined syntax for querying multiple tables:

The basic structure is this: columnName.tableName

some examples:
    SELECT username.usertable, pics.pictable FROM usertable, pictable...
    (username = the name of your user name column, and usertable = the name of the table that holds the usernames, pics = the name of the picture title column, pictable = the name of the table holding the picture titles. )

You can also assign the keyword 'AS' to create an alias for the rows:

SELECT username.usertable AS user, pics.pictable AS picTitles FROM...

You can even compare columns from one table to columns of another:

...WHERE username.usertable = picowner.pictable...

Quote Originally Posted by cjj View Post
    I'm wondering how to go about this? I'm not sure if its even possible or if I need to use a join or something?

Im using a search facility on my page. When a user types something into the search box I need it to search inside two separate tables. Can this be done?

The results for the query will be run inside a while statement.

For the one table I will need to find users names and the other one picture titles.

I would really appreciate any help?

I'm not sure how this would work, as I have a WHERE in my query? Let me show you what the two separate queries would look like and maybe you can show me how to put them together. I would really appreciate it!!

$query1 = "SELECT * FROM items WHERE (item_title LIKE '% $searching %') order by
    item_title asc ";

$query2 = "SELECT username FROM users WHERE (username LIKE '% $searching %') order
    by username asc";

Thread Information