Thread: Semi-Random Database Order

Semi-Random Database Order

I am currently developing a game that has a table of users. For example each user has a strength of 1-100 (100 being the strongest). Now I would like to order the database from strongest to weakest, easy. But say these people were fighting in real life the strongest is more likely to win, but this is not always the case. So I would like to semi-randomize the database keeping the overall strongest/weakest ordering but adding an element of randomness. This will very basically mock real life outcomes.

Any clever suggestions? I was thinking of doing something like random 10% blocks or something of that nature. Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks Alex

would it not be more logical to calculate the outcome of the 'fight' when the 'fight' happens, ie sort the users however you want, by ID for instance, then when a 'fight' happens, weigh the odds with a math operation, for instance:

- strength goes from 0 to 100 (maximum)
    - the greater the difference between the two, the least randomness added: let's say one is at 70 the other 65, then the output is random, one is at 70 the other at 35 the first is going to win (with a tiny chance of losing)
    - there is more randomness added if both strengths are low

would you care to explain more, I don't really understand why you would want to order the database

Thread Information