Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Why should I use RoR, or django, or cake ?

Why should I use RoR, or django, or cake ?

web applications all seem to use a popular framework, but I don't understand how these are tailored to meet specific demands (short of doing a blog-type site/photos/digg clone)

You might need to state the obvious, but what are the advantages of using a framework versus hard coding all your website ?

Very clean and fast code.

No longer do you have to wrote messy SQL queryies. If I want to find the details of a user with the username 'stuartloxton' I could just do:
    PHP Code:
    //CakePHP example
    $this->User->findByUsername('stuartloxton'); 
    It allows you also to seperate all your code into MVC (Model View Controller) format.

It does a lot of mononetnous stuff for you:
    Automatically fills in created and modified date fields in tables
    Pluralises stuff
    Can use multi-functional layouts (I specify a layout for HTML, AJAX, JSON, etc) it does the rest with the view and knows how to render the page.

use RoR because I am learning it and dont want to feel like an idiot for using it alone

Just experiment and find what your comfortable with. I normally use RoR or Cake depending on which server the app is going to be deployed on. If I don't have access to the server I stick to Cake as PHP is still supported on more servers but for my site I run RoR.

I like RoR the best, but haven't used django. I like RoR better, because I simply like ruby better than php. Plus the way ruby code is written, allows for uses development.

The RoR equivalent of EvilDrummer's code:
    PHP Code:
    Users.find_by_username('stuartloxton'); 

Am I the only one who feels more efficient without a framework?
    got pwnt?

^^ that's what I thought harish

my php skills are definitely not professional but I'd rather build an app from the ground up then try to understand and append to a skyscraper

i'll give them a go (they're all free, right ?)

^Yup
    Lies are like children. Their hard work but their worth it because the future depends on them-House.

• PHP is the worst language on the planet, so with some of the frameworks, I can avoid that and use Python or Ruby — good, clean languages. (Of course, this reason doesn’t apply to PHP frameworks.)
    • They’re a helluva lot faster than anything I can write.
    • They usually do some security stuff.
    • ORMs, which make life livable
    • Caching
    • Clean URIs

Those are my reasons, at least.

K-Emmys-06: Best Footer; and K-Emmys-06: Most Active Member

I agree with nokrev on the security part... most frameworks deal with the obvious things in PHP that are easy to overlook.

hl, I believe its just a thing of learning the frameworks although usually they are pretty easy to pick up and learn relatively fast.

I'm more a custom guy myself also, but I'm in the habit of reusing class over and over to take out the grunt work like most frameworks do. The guy I work with though is a framework nut (but hes also the type of person that runs linux on his work machine in vmware).

Join #kirupa | Click the ƒ under my Username | CL | Jeff

Actually, if it were convenient, I’d probably love to learn to write custom apps in Python or OCaml or something — it’s just pretty dang inconvenient to do that.

K-Emmys-06: Best Footer; and K-Emmys-06: Most Active Member

As said before they just make things faster, easier AND the code cleaner and more organise. And also as a lot of them now go with conventions it means other people who use that framework can understand things easily.

Thread Information