The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Speed: XML / SQL

Speed: XML / SQL

What would faster in the following scenario?

A CMS with settings in an admincp, which effect the whole site.
    There would be about 90 settings that would be populated in an object's array (e.g. $settings->layout['width']).

Do you reckon it would be faster for the settings to be stored in a database and be pulled out on every page or stored in an XML file and parsed on every page?

I'm trying to find out the best times to use databases and the best times to use XML.

Obviously for users I'd store their information in a database but settings I'm leaning towards using XML.

I think both ways are heavy on the server but which would be heavier?
    Web Design and Web Development blog
    Designer Notice: Browser List for design compatibility

Are you talking about everyone's data in one file or a seperate XML file for each user?

If you're storing everyone's settings in one flat file and you have to select via a specific user, then the database would definitely be faster (because it can select in constant time [so long as you set the user id/name/whatever as a key] without having to run through the whole database and you would have to search through the file sequentially).

If it is a separate XML file for each user, then it's probably equivalent to using a database.

Thread Information