Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Handling .zip file in vb.net

Handling .zip file in vb.net

Right now im using a class #ZipLib, I'm just wondering if there is a better solution or if any of the recent updates to the .net framework add anything for zipping files or unzipping.

What I really need is a way to open files in memory (xml and png files in a .zip) then save them back to the .zip (treating it as a compressed folder).

Right now I'm creating a file on the hard drive then placing it into the .zip a step i would like to get rid of.

Any help would be appreciated or even better maybe a dll I've overlooked.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

There is no built-in support for opening or saving ZIP files, but there are numerous third party resources for this. I did a quick search and found this site: http://www.example-code.com/csharp/zip.asp

The code is in C#, but I am sure that can be ported to VB easily...I hope

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

^That costs 169 dollars. It does everything I want and more but it lacks the freeness I'm looking for. The DLL will stop working after 30 days of use.

Maybe 4.0 will finally have full support for .zip. I just find it weird that the OS handles it natively but it has no native support in all its language (i know j# has limited support).
    Last edited by Templarian; January 4th, 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Oh, I didn't know that there was a cost associated with that. This other one definitely looks free: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-resource.aspx

You are using 7zip's API, and I am pretty sure their SDK is free since they provide everything else for free also.

Regarding why .NET doesn't support Zip by default may have to do with licensing. I think the Zip feature found in Windows is licensed from WinZip.

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Thread Information