The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Need help with building simple editor

Need help with building simple editor

I have just the basic skill of PHP and Javascript(Still not vary good at), and MySQL. I am trying to learn a bit about editing the "innerHTML" of a span tag. I saw a lot about it in the Ajax edit in place but that isn't what I am looking for. I don't know how to call the content to a text box for editing though and even then I still don't know what to do after that so I REALLY need some direction here of I might just ruin something.

Thank-you.

Okay, so if I have read this right you want to....

Get the content of a span in the HTML and insert the content of that span into a text box as a value? Would this happen on page load or does something trigger it?

This is for a quick edit phpbb mod I'm working on:

Code:
    function openEditor(){
    	if(document.getElementById('inlineEditBox') != null){
    		alert('You must first finish editing your other post.');
    	}
    	else{
    		f = document.getElementById('postDiv').innerHTML;
    		f = "<textarea id='inlineEditBox' class='inputbox' rows='8'>" + f + 
    				"</textarea><br /><input type='button' value='Submit' onClick='commit("+pid+")' />";
    		document.getElementById('post_' + id).innerHTML = f;
    	}
    }
    Basically, you use innerHTML to get the contents, then you make innerHTML equal to the old html, wraped in textarea tags.

Sorry for taking so long.

Quote Originally Posted by evildrummer View Post
    Okay, so if I have read this right you want to....

Get the content of a span in the HTML and insert the content of that span into a text box as a value? Would this happen on page load or does something trigger it?
    There will be a small button to trigger it in the right hand corner of the element. I am going to make it only show up if the user has the ability to edit the page, otherwise it won't even exist on the viewing side.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes View Post
    This is for a quick edit phpbb mod I'm working on:

Code:
    function openEditor(){
        if(document.getElementById('inlineEditBox') != null){
            alert('You must first finish editing your other post.');
        }
        else{
            f = document.getElementById('postDiv').innerHTML;
            f = "<textarea id='inlineEditBox' class='inputbox' rows='8'>" + f + 
                    "</textarea><br /><input type='button' value='Submit' onClick='commit("+pid+")' />";
            document.getElementById('post_' + id).innerHTML = f;
        }
    }
    Basically, you use innerHTML to get the contents, then you make innerHTML equal to the old html, wraped in textarea tags.
    That is basically what I want but I'll need to make a version of my own. This my be a while.

Thread Information