Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hashing Algorithms

Hashing Algorithms

What, in your opinion, is the most secure and collision-resistant hashing algorithm?
    COLOURlovers | Member #2 of the kirupa XBox 360 Club
    "I think most people would agree that your computer breaking is a Christmas miracle." ~shane-c to Timmytots

Hashing of what? Strings? You will inevitably have collisions at some point, so are you asking what kind of collision-solving algorithm is best?
    Wait, what?

No, I'm asking which algorithm has the least collisions.
    "I think most people would agree that your computer breaking is a Christmas miracle." ~shane-c to Timmytots

... really collision is not very high even in the most used hash's. If you want less collision simply expand the hash to more characters. 32 64 128...

Bring it out to 128 and trust me your not going to be hitting similar hashes.

Join #kirupa | Click the ƒ under my Username | CL | Jeff

Oh you mean cryptographic hashing? I thought you meant hashing functions used in hashtables.
    Wait, what?

^ Yeah, sorry for not defining what I wanted enough. I had been reading about the possible weakness of the SHA1 hash and was wondering if the kirupians had any favorite hashes.

Wikipedia suggests that SHA-2 has no weaknesses, but mostly because it has not been scrutinized much yet.

I think most hashes are fine, even if you work at the CIA.
    If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

"Are you doing anything tonight? If not, how about me?"

Opera Sucks! - FIX IT
    Oliver Zheng

^ Yeah, I read that a couple weeks ago.

sha1 has collisions. The only way, I can think of right now, you can have "no" collisions is if you have strict unique integer data...

Hmm... After doing some more reading I've decided to go with SHA256 or SHA512, with possible 3 or 4 digit random integer salting. Better safe than sorry I always say.

You are always going to get collisions - that's the definition of hashes. If you are going to transform a string of infinite possibilities into a string of fixed length, how can there not be collisions?
    If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

"Are you doing anything tonight? If not, how about me?"

Opera Sucks! - FIX IT
    Oliver Zheng

wtf is Hashing Algorithms?

“Who were you, Krilnon, and how did you know so much about AS4?”
    The historian sighed as she gazed up at the sky and saw… not stars. A story.

Well I know some people that add the length of the string after there Hash... not good for passwords but prevents almost every chance that your gonna have collisions.

... but really you shouldn't have to.
    Last edited by Templarian; December 27th, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

Join #kirupa | Click the ƒ under my Username | CL | Jeff

Talked to a cryptography wiz last night and decided on what I'm going to do. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information