Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: putting a flash file in css

putting a flash file in css

so as most of you who have a myspace know, you can change your "extended network" thing with like a picture

the code is:

Code:
     <style> table table table td { vertical-align:top !important; } span.blacktext12 { visibility:visible !important; background-color: transparent; background-image: url(http://www.mysite.com/image.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: center center; font-size: 0px; letter-spacing :-0.5px; width: 440px; height: 80px; display:block !important; } span.blacktext12 img { display:none; } </style>
    i was wondering how could i put a flash file, for example: http://mysite.com/flash.swf in the code, instead of an image

thanx

for myspace
    HTML Code:
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="200" width="200" border="0" data="http://www.yourexternalsite.com/yourswf.swf">
      <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
      <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
      <param name="movie" value="http://www.yourexternalsite.com/yourswf.swf" />
      <param name="menu" value="true" />
      <param name="quality" value="high" />
      <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

</object>
    works... but not in CSS. On myspace you're not just limited to using CSS, you can put html in there too
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

but see i want to put it where the "extended network" thing goes

which means i need to make a table or somethin...

then no, inserting an image is nothing cause you can select it from it's class give it a bg image and bam. but no you can't do that w/ a swf.
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

so is there any way, maybe i could do a div and set the x and y axis on top of the extended network thing?

Unless the parent table of your myspace profile has an ID or class, I'd say no. If it does/did you could set it to relative then set your div to absolute, which would force that div to float absolutely relative to it's parent table. I suppose you can do
    Code:
    table { position: relative; }
    and then do your div absolute, in hopes that it considers the same table that the extended network is in, it's parent table. In which case you can use absolute positioning to layer your div on top of the extended network... but even that's still kinda hokey.

well i have a normal myspace with just different colors and stuff

o well, thanx

could i put a flash file like at the top of the page, even though i would scroll it would still stay at the top?

Yea you could do that, just take a div make it static, z-index: 999999 or something of that nature, won't work well in ie6 w/o a hack, but i guess that all depends on if you really care about those users.

okay thanx, im just going to use an animation gif instead of flash, it makes things a whole lot easier, even though it wont look as cool as it does using flash :/

but thanx for your help!

Thread Information