The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: turn smoothing on and off dynamically loaded images.

turn smoothing on and off dynamically loaded images.

Hi all.

I have searched and searched AND SEARCHED. but i cant seem to find the answer to whether you can turn smoothing on and off of dynamically loaded images. I have found tutorials on how to do this with embedded images but i need to dynamically load images and as they will be resizing on the fly i need to make all 36 images toggle smoothing on and off and having them all load in with smoothing on makes the file run extremely jerky as the smoothing is a major resource hog.

ANY HELP is appreciated.

Hi flashnub,

Forgive me if I dont quite understand where your at with this, but do you already know how to load dynamic images using smoothing, and if so do you just wish to know how to toggle the smoothing? Or do you need to know how to load them with smoothing still.

Sorry but the way you worded it seems confusing (to me) as to what you have and have not been able to accomplish, but again maybe its just me that is not understanding your post sorry.

Can you clarify please?

Ok well I just saw your other post regarding this -- Dynamically loading growing image slideshow.

I am under the assumption that you need to know how to load images with smoothing (at least given my understanding of that previous post, and seeing that there is no smoothing code in your previous post.)

Quote Originally Posted by flashnub View Post
    i have not figured out how to incorporate loading SMOOTHED images into the site
    Ok, so here are some links and discussions that should assit you.

1.) Dynamically loading bitmaps with smoothing in Flash Player 8 (from an engineer working on the flash player - pretty good source for info - huh)
    2.) _quality property from Adobe liveDocs site, READ the comments also.
    3.) Someones own solution (smoothImageLoad) via a function at the Actionscript.org
    Forums, and a direct link to there site. Worth looking into as its a pretty cleaver soution.
    4.) Another link on the topic with various other links, includes some from above.

Senocular - also has a example of toggling for whether a bitmap is smoothed and also the quality of the images. So look at that also.

However, keep in mind there are alot of factors in player performance, so its really hard to say whether the bitmap smoothing alone will even fix your problems. But I hope this gets you on your way for what you wanted to know.

Thanks prg9.

yeh i was wondering if there is a way to turn the smoothing on and off the dynamically loaded images. The only posts i have found are one that load them all in with smoothing already on. ie code below.

//------------------------------------------

import flash.display.*;

function loadBitmapSmoothed(url:String, target:MovieClip) {
    // Create a movie clip which will contain our
    // unsmoothed bitmap
    var bmc:MovieClip = target.createEmptyMovieClip(
    "bmc",
    target.getNextHighestDepth());

// Create a listener which will notify us when
    // the bitmap loaded successfully
    var listener:Object = new Object();

// Track the target
    listener.tmc = target;

// If the bitmap loaded successfully we redraw the
    // movie into a BitmapData object and then attach
    // that BitmapData to the target movie clip with
    // the smoothing flag turned on.
    listener.onLoadInit = function(mc:MovieClip) {
    mc._visible = false;

var bitmap:BitmapData = new BitmapData(
    mc._width,
    mc._height,
    true);

this.tmc.attachBitmap(
    bitmap,
    this.tmc.getNextHighestDepth(),
    "auto",
    true);

bitmap.draw(mc);
    };

// Do it, load the bitmap now
    var loader:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
    loader.addListener(listener);
    loader.loadClip(url, bmc);
    }
    createEmptyMovieClip("myMC",getNextHighestDepth()) ;
    loadBitmapSmoothed("mypic.jpg",myMC);

//-----------------------------------------

or alternatively

//-----------------------------------------

myBitmap = new BitmapData(clip_a._width, clip_a._height, true, 0x00FFFFFF);
    myBitmap.draw(clip_a);
    removeMovieClip(clip_a);
    createEmptyMovieClip("clip_a", getNextHighestDepth());
    clip_a.attachBitmap(myBitmap, 1, "auto", true);

//------------------------------------------

I have found this to be a major resource hog and makes the flash run jerky when i have 36 images rotating.(depending on how good your computer is).
    it would be great if i could load them in then turn smoothing on when they are visible and off when they are not, as flash still smoothes the images when invisible.

i will update this link with a url to view my file

using MovieCliploader you can do it.

Thread Information