The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you call your mom's father?

What do you call your mom's father?

I'd like to know what you call your mom's father? Do you just say grandfather? So, what about your dad's father? Still grandfather? Because in India, we have two different things... (This is for an English essay I've to write. )

lol

"in india"

Both are grandfathers. There is only one word for grandfather (besides grandpa, or gramps) in english no matter whose father he is, unless the folks across the pond have come up with another one.

4. I call both my grandparents the same, as I never see them together (opposite sides of country) so yeah it would be grandfather + grandfather

Ok. Thanks!

lol, the first time in a very long time at my graduation 3 weeks ago, my grandma and grandma were both there and I'm like hi grandmas.

Join #kirupa | Click the ƒ under my Username | CL | Jeff

Maternal or Paternal Grandfather if you want to get specific

Dead and never met, but if they were alive and I met them I would say Grandpa for both.

I call my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.

morfar and gammal morfar

where I live we call things by name - it's personal, once U get used to that.
    So if the name is 'Something' - then 'hello Something'.

^ I'm pretty sure my Grandparents would find it impolite if I called them by name. Pretty much like my parents. If I started calling my Dad "Mike" he'd probably be annoyed/offended.

^ I'm pretty sure my Grandparents would find it impolite if I called them by name. Pretty much like my parents. If I started calling my Dad "Mike" he'd probably be annoyed/offended.
    Surely, understand the 'emotions' involved here. First time my son referred to me by name, he's a grown-up, I got surprised, got used to that - and it's working out as well. Grown-up people should not only focus backwards. Give them a challenge, and they may like it. Seriously - they are capable...

doesn't feel right to call my parents and grandparents by their given name.

doesn't feel right to call my parents and grandparents by their given name.
    As long as you think you're doing things the right way, do that - do not cross any boarders that you aren't comfortable with. Stick to what your heart tells
    you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information