The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Need sug. For my RPG game.

Need sug. For my RPG game.

Hi, im making an "pixel"-game, in flash ofc .
    The Graphics are pixel-looking, kind of Zelda on SNES feeling.
    But i have some questions.

Which is the best way to make the ground follow the character?

Should ground which is out-of-site not be loaded, and get loaded as the char gets closer?

Should Different places, houses, dungeons, fields, be in different frames or scenes or get loaded whit AS?

Maximum recommended number of movieclips loaded at the same time?

Any good tips for hitTest with walls, stones, etc?

Any other tip is very appriciated.
    Thanks!
    /Macsy
    Everybody has been a newbie

1/ i would make the ground move and leave the char' in the center, but there is no real best way it's all about what you like.

2/ yes. On a large map this can save your CPU's life

3/ I would lode them with AS. With all the other code you need using frames or scenes will just make it harder

4/ it's is totally dependent on whether they have code attached or how complicated they are, in it self it's a meaningless number, unless you where thinking of loading pixels individually (don't do that)

5/ tiles, using tiles can make things so much simpler, if you tell a tile there is some thing over it when you move it there all you need to do is ask the tile if there is anything to test for saving a lot of computations
    Girr

Thanks for you help... But, i dont know if i should position the tiles with as or with making them in large MC witch is loaded with AS.... do you understanD?

i don't really understand, but i'll try anyway. you will need to add the tiles with AS or is no longer useful.
    This is one of the most used/recommended tile tutorial. Have a look I might help you
    http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/start.html
    Girr

for hitTesting, i go tilebased
    best way, the character is fixed on the center and only the map moves
    max loaded depends on cpu
    never use scenes. NEVER

I was thinking of doing the same thing (making the map move instead of char), but i thought of this way of doing it.

Splitting the map up into seperate MovieClips ( the size of my document )

then using action script to determine when to load sertain movieClips of the map, using the attachMovie(); function.

and when the actionscript detects that its off of the screen(document) use removeMovieClip(); function

ps. i havent tried this out yet but i reacon it would work if you code it right

the game is not tile based, you point with mouse and click on the location witch its suppose to go. Which make the hitTest and how to determin if the MC is in or outside the screenset.

I have been writing a tile-based game and one of the problems I had was how to effectively load up external tile gifs. I found that, using flash's bitmapData class, I was able to load my external tiles into separate movieclips, draw them into a bitmapData array, then delete the holder movieclips. This allows me to then use the .attachBitmap function which allows the game to only have to load tiles once, then access them until the game is closed or the array is deleted.

If enough people are interested, I can set up a custom class and post it.

im not understanding what your saying there but do you mean this?

Code:
    for(i; i<MovieClipTotal; i++){
         MovieC = _root.["movieclipname"+i];
         MovieC.onPress = function() {
                 *Code goes here*
         }
    }
    is that what you were meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by irrationalistic View Post
    I have been writing a tile-based game and one of the problems I had was how to effectively load up external tile gifs. I found that, using flash's bitmapData class, I was able to load my external tiles into separate movieclips, draw them into a bitmapData array, then delete the holder movieclips. This allows me to then use the .attachBitmap function which allows the game to only have to load tiles once, then access them until the game is closed or the array is deleted.

If enough people are interested, I can set up a custom class and post it.
    This is the best and by far the most efficent way to make a tile based game now a days. Just have to be careful redrawing the animated tiles.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Thread Information