The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: How to develop this site?

3boxes How to develop this site?

Ok, i am making flash web site. Data should be in XML. Beacuse i have Menu system that goes into depth, sometimes even 5 levels. The biggest problem is that i have to make it available for my client so he can change data. But not with some XML editor, but by some HTML form that's online. So i am still thinking how should i do it. So far i made CMS with PHP and MySQL but depth was usually one level. Don't know how to go here. Do the same but just organize data somehow and then turn DB data in XML wich would be loaded in flash at the begining. Or just edit XML directly and skip DB? Or use some different approach, not with PHP but some flash remoting(never than that) what would be the best way to do this project? I am open to any suggestion and ready to learn it if it's useful.

p.s.
    I am new here, so Hello to evryone!

i've done some stuff similar to what your trying and i have always used flash and php and loadvars to change the xml files variables or html file or anything really from flash...and i use a database to store the data and call it using php and call the php from flash thats pretty much a very basic explanation of how i would go about it.

hope it helps

ps. fwrite to your xml file in php

hey welcome to K-I-R-U-P-A.com
    Last edited by - |Flash Man| -; January 31st, 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: welcome to kirupa!

as far as going several layers deep, you will want to have a table structure with parent relationships defined. so something like:
    Code:
    tbl_options
    -------------
    option_id
    option_name
    parent_option_id

Quote Originally Posted by bwh2 View Post
    as far as going several layers deep, you will want to have a table structure with parent relationships defined. so something like:
    Code:
    tbl_options
    -------------
    option_id
    option_name
    parent_option_id

Is this parent just an variable stored in table, which i have to look fora and programm regarding to it, or is there some real structure with parenting in MySQL, i am not an novice at DB so i don't know :-)
    Will i get in phpMyAdmin something like

table1
    ...|_ table2
    ..........|_ table23

or how this goes?

no, the DB isn't smart enough to understand what the data means. so the DB can't comprehend a hierarchy like that. thus phpMyAdmin won't display that hierarchy. basically you will have to program that hierarchy using recursion.

also, there is one caveat to the design i mentioned earlier: if you want to options to have more than one parent, you would follow this design:
    Code:
    tbl_options
    ---------------
    option_id
    option_name

tbl_options_relationships
    -------------------
    child_option_id
    parent_option_id
    this is also more 3NF compliant, which is always a good thing.

Thread Information