The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Best hosting for a new flash website? HELP!

Best hosting for a new flash website? HELP!

Hey guys...I was gona buy hosting for my new site that I created in flash....but I woul like to know THE best hosting service for flash....any ideas?...Iv looked into 1&1 and Bluehost...but is there a specific thing to look for?...like FTP or PHP ...i dont even know what those are for...i do know i need somthing like that for a contact page right? HELP!

Heres just a few descriptions of features!

FTP: Lets you use programs to upload files to Internet instead of having to go through IE or FF etc, also FTP is faster

PHP: is a dynamic scripting language, all the good hosts should have it, PHP5 is the latest

MySQL/SQL: Database storage, especially usefull for dynamic sites

ASP: same as PHP but microsoft

Bandwidth: How much can be viewd from your host (if your file is say 1GB (excessive) and your host has a 1024GB bandiwidth it would mean 1024 could download your file fully

Quote Originally Posted by evildrummer View Post
    Heres just a few descriptions of features!

FTP: Lets you use programs to upload files to Internet instead of having to go through IE or FF etc, also FTP is faster

PHP: is a dynamic scripting language, all the good hosts should have it, PHP5 is the latest

ASP: same as PHP but microsoft

Bandwidth: How much can be viewd from your host (if your file is say 1GB (excessive) and your host has a 1024GB bandiwidth it would mean 1024 could download your file fully

Scripting language?...for what?...what does it do?...is it like HTML?

Do you mean like sites with interaction like FLASH sites or do you mean like sites with forms and shopping carts?

PHP - probably most used in Flash for contact forms and guestbooks (there are many other uses, those are just popular ones)

MySQL can power any kind of front end (HTML, DHTML, Flash). Flash integrates with it too.

I'm with 1&1 - been with them for about 5 years with about 28 seperate domains. Not once had any difficulty with any part of their service from email to domain registration to server speeds to server reliability to ftp access.

They're worth a look (No I don't work for them )

PHP scripting means instead of having a static page where it looks exactly teh same and and does the same you can have stuff like: calculators, shopping carts, GUI CMS (instead of editing teh HTML you can use forms etc) also for ocntact forms

MySQL great with PHP so you can contain all your sites data in the MySQL database which is sometimes better than having hundreds of static html files. ALso Mysql and PHP can be used with flash or HTML

Quote Originally Posted by evildrummer View Post
    PHP scripting means instead of having a static page where it looks exactly teh same and and does the same you can have stuff like: calculators, shopping carts, GUI CMS (instead of editing teh HTML you can use forms etc) also for ocntact forms

MySQL great with PHP so you can contain all your sites data in the MySQL database which is sometimes better than having hundreds of static html files. ALso Mysql and PHP can be used with flash or HTML

But is MYSQL needed to have a flash site with a contact form and external swf's?

no

Thread Information