Thread: Getting my Apache Server Public?

Getting my Apache Server Public?

Hello, I just installed PHP & Apache using a wonderful, easy tutorial on kirupa. However, I wanted to somehow make it public. How could I make the rest of the internet see it? I understand that a normal home computer isn't made as a server, but I'm only talking about a few people seeing it, and I'd really like to know how to make it go "online". How can I do it for free? Thank you so much in advance!

If you go through a router/modem then you need to to give your computer an internal ip thats. Normally 192.168.0.1 so on. Once you have done that you need to port forward from your router so when someone enters in your ip the router forwards that person to which ever machine you chose. Make sure that the router port forward to a open port normally port 80 for http access.

If you have a dynamic IP you can choose to turn of DHCP to give your router a static IP or choose to go through a free service Dynamic DNS Service. such as www.dyndns.org.

Thats how i did it. What i said prob makes no sense as i'm crap at giving advice or explaining stuff.

Sorry

What OS are you running? Is it your normal computer? Do you have any FireWalls?

For my server once i had my main computer running. OS X 10.3.9 then found it would be easier to build a server from a older pc. Tried this under Ubuntu and Fedora. all three was able to get this to work.

If your router has a firewall built in thats why you use port forwarding to allow access to port 80 which is generally HTTP.

Off the top of my head i can't remember what firewall i'm using. I'll find out but its now all based on fedora. Pretty slick.

well,

1) Open your router/modem configuration settings and allow port 80 to be open. (also on your firewall if you have one)

2) go to dyndns.org (or similar) because they also allow static IP addresses.

3)thats basicly it. Its what I did when I had the normal windows server. Now i use Ubuntu server edition and Red Hat 5.2
    My Photography
    Twitter

K-Emmys-06: Best "Newbie"

^You dont need Ubuntu & Red Hat.
    Member #2 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club.

How exactly would I set up my Apache server like that? I just want to make it so someone could type in a subdomain, like myserver.freedomain.com and get sent to the server. I know that DynDNS offers free DNS services like that, and I got my server configured through it, but it still isn't working. How do I port forward, and what is Red Hat and Ubuntu? My IP is static, and I've already taken care of that part. My ipconfig tells me 192.168.1.100, but ipchicken, and everywhere else, tells me 66.64.44.83. Which one do I use?

P.S. I use Windows XP
    Last edited by migigicoko; January 23rd, 2007 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.jones071 View Post
    well,

1) Open your router/modem configuration settings and allow port 80 to be open. (also on your firewall if you have one)

2) go to dyndns.org (or similar) because they also allow static IP addresses.

3)thats basicly it. Its what I did when I had the normal windows server. Now i use Ubuntu server edition and Red Hat 5.2
    thats what i said but you said it better.

Use 66.64.44.83 as the 192.168.1.100 is your internal ip address.

If you have a static IP already you need to tell your sub domain to go use that ip (66.64.44.83)

I did that, but it's still not working.

Hold on hmmm

when someone types in 66.64.44.83 they should go to your router admin page.

So you need to port forward to 192.168.1.100 to go to yor webapage

Whenever I type in either IP, the page cannot be found, I'm not forwarded anywhere. I've given DynDNS a day to recognize the IP and link it, but it still doesn't work. Is there a better alternative to using an Apache server besides buying a server or using a web host?

is your router doing DCHP?

How do I know?

Log into your router and see if the LAN Ip set up has DHCP turned on. If so you can normally find an option called Dynamic DNS if you find it there you can fill in the answers it asks for such as your DynDNS username and password.

This will keep DynDNS updated on your ip change.

Thread Information