Thread: Special Characters: Flash + PHP + MySQL

Special Characters: Flash + PHP + MySQL

Hi:

I made a small user registration and login system with Flash front-end, but when I try to write values with special characters to the db, I get something else. For example, an is recorded as á.

I've found lots of information about issues like this, but couldn't solve it yet.

- In the swf file, I got System.useCodePage=true;. I create a loadVars objectand send it to the db thru a php script using sendAndLoad with POST.

- If I execute a query in the dB's command line, the value is written correctly.

- In PHP, I'm converting the string to utf8: $variable = utf8_encode($variable);

- MySQL version is 4.1.21 standard, The character set and collation is utf8_unicode_ci and utf_8.

Well, I don't know if this is enough to show what's the problem, I'm really going crazy with this. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot, regards.

what does echo $variable look like?

If I return to flash the value of $variable like this:

$variable2 = $variable;
    return("variable2=$variable2");

I get into flash the right value, the special characters are displayed ok. In this case I avoided using utf8_encode($variable);

Anyway, when it's written into the database, the problem is the same.

I changed every utf_8 in the db to latin1, turned off system.useCodePage in Flash, but the characters are not correctly saved yet.

Thanks a lot!

I finally made it work changing the db's character set to latin1 and using charset=utf8 in the html document where I embed the swf file.
    Last edited by durreimon; January 18th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Thread Information