Thread: [OOT] How to buy a server

[OOT] How to buy a server

hi guys,

I need information on how to buy a server, type of server and how to take care of them...I try to google it buy most of them only offer small business/home type server, does anyone know about this information? if yes can you share with me pls?

and which is more ceeper buy a server, rent a place in a servers company and let them take care of it or put the server in your office and take care it your self?

thanks,

If "small business/home type servers" are not what you're after, then what the hell do you need? I very much hope you're not looking to buy a large business server, otherwise I would advise getting someone else to handle it for you. (And also loan you a stack of cash).

If you don't know much about servers I would advise against buying one. It's most definately more expensive to have someone else maintain it in the long run, but on the other hand, do you really want to be responsible of keeping it running 24/7, 365 days a year?

Depending on what you need it for I'd advise just getting some shared hosting. You can get a lot of functionality these days with shared accounts, plus it's a lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about server maintenance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by duncanhall View Post
    If "small business/home type servers" are not what you're after, then what the hell do you need? I very much hope you're not looking to buy a large business server, otherwise I would advise getting someone else to handle it for you. (And also loan you a stack of cash).

If you don't know much about servers I would advise against buying one. It's most definately more expensive to have someone else maintain it in the long run, but on the other hand, do you really want to be responsible of keeping it running 24/7, 365 days a year?

Depending on what you need it for I'd advise just getting some shared hosting. You can get a lot of functionality these days with shared accounts, plus it's a lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about server maintenance at all.
    the things is my company planning to make a 90 minutes 3d movie and for some odd reason I'm the one who responsible to research about what type of server that we'll use and how much the cost, etc.

but if the servers only for upload data/files not ecommerce do you think it's okay to maitenance it ourself or still it's better to co-location it to an IP computer?

IF your just sending out a 90 minute movie and thats it, I would just get a server from a normal hosting company, MT or DreamHost will do I think.

Thread Information