The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: database beginner question

database beginner question

I've searched and could not find what I was looking for.
    I have NO database experience but need to learn quick

I have an html page with an iFrame (flash menu on left - iFrame on right)
    When I click a product image on the left this is what I need to happen.
    - Flash send a variable
    - The iFrame to load an HTML page that will populate with an image, 2 text fields, and 3 hyperlinks dependant on what product is clicked in the flash.

I am using access since it is what i have at work, and i can just add all the products in a table pretty quickly and easitly. I set up a table in access with the image, hyperlinks, and text that needs to populate in the html page. The HTML page is set up in tables if that makes a difference...

I just don't know where to go from here to make my connections and how to set it up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Access is detah on a stick.
    Member #2 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club.

does anyone have anything already written that works like this that I could learn from? I'm kind of lost right now, and I need a little bit of direction. Or atleast some links that will explain how to do this, from a beginners stand point.

Why does what you are looking to achieve require you to used a DB ?

From your intial post it seems to me like your just looking to include a file of some sort.

Well, I don't neccessarily need to use a database to do what I want, for now atleast. But, in the near future they are going to want a store and shopping cart set up. And everything has to be easily updatable... I am definetly open to suggestions though.

Yes, we have PHP and ASP on our server. although, I'm not to confident in the person running the IT department...

Well for your shopping cart you will deffinately require a DB and obviously a SSL.

For what you are looking to do at the mean time though, I would suggest you just use standard pages.

Just use "includes" for objects that may be required to be used on multiple pages [ meaning you make one copy, and just load that one copy into each page that requires access to that information ].

Quote Originally Posted by Tchuki View Post
    Well for your shopping cart you will deffinately require a DB and obviously a SSL.

For what you are looking to do at the mean time though, I would suggest you just use standard pages.

Just use "includes" for objects that may be required to be used on multiple pages [ meaning you make one copy, and just load that one copy into each page that requires access to that information ].

Yea, I could do that... I was just looking for a way to get around setting up 200 or so html pages... And learn about databases at the same time.

You would still have had to set up 200 pages anyway even if you were going to use SSL and a DB to populate the pages.

You would have to put code on all the pages to retrieve the data from the DB anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh2 View Post
    use a database, don't use included html files.
    Why? Nothing he has specified really requires a DB? A few images and some hyperlinks.

so you're suggesting he should generate 200 HTML pages?

i'm suggesting that he just use a DB and write one PHP page to grab the appropriate records.

use a database, don't use included html files.
    so you're suggesting he should generate 200 HTML pages?

i'm suggesting that he just use a DB and write one PHP page to grab the appropriate records.

Good point, not thinking straight tonight. Ignore me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information