The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: DIY Flash Game Server

DIY Flash Game Server

Sup!

So...when it comes to web programming I'm a bit of a N00b. I understand the basics of OOP and the very basic basics of communication via the web (using sockets/ports). I've messed with actionscript enough to know my way around a bit. I'm wondering where I should start, what language(s) would be best/fastest, etc.

I'm aware there are commercially available game servers (SmartFox Server, Electro-Server), but I'm on a shoestring budget and I think it would be a positive learning experience to try programming my own software server.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Squidge View Post
    Sup!

So...when it comes to web programming I'm a bit of a N00b. I understand the basics of OOP and the very basic basics of communication via the web (using sockets/ports). I've messed with actionscript enough to know my way around a bit. I'm wondering where I should start, what language(s) would be best/fastest, etc.

I'm aware there are commercially available game servers (SmartFox Server, Electro-Server), but I'm on a shoestring budget and I think it would be a positive learning experience to try programming my own software server.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Erm, did you say programy your own web server software, you wont be able to do it, nor I. probely nobody on this forum could do that. It would be a HUGE task, why not check out apache, most of the web servers run it, and it is free

www.apache.org
    Member #2 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club.

This is what you want

Although I never actually got it to work.

The thign is to runa socket server etc, you need root access i think.
    Member #2 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club.

Yeah, I think that was problem, only having shared hosting. I'm saving that tutuorial for a rainy day when I have a wardrobe full of my own servers.

Having said that, I checked out that SmartFox Server metioned above and it looks pretty kick arse.

Thanks 4 t3h speedy replies peeps! So I'll have to check out apache. This would allow me to build a multiplayer game in Flash?

The only thing I was a little unsure about with SmartFox Server is a) the cost is high, although it's free to develop and b) when installed and running, the server opens a DOS window (in windows) and one of the command lines references www.electro-server.com. Well, that threw me off a bit because I understood these to be competing programs. Why would I bother with SmartFox when I could just get electro-server? Should I just use apache?

Thread Information