The forums have permanently moved to This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Microphone

Is there a way to get the sound that the Microphone is making and use it in a Sound object or somehow save it someway, or is the only thing you can do is just let it redirect to the speakers?

you mean WITHIN a flash application or just in general?

yes, within a flash application. Im pretty much asking if we can actually retrieve the voice data or not

not that i know of... anyone else?

what you want is AS3

check out;

computeSpectrum &nbsp) method
    public static function computeSpectrum(outputArray:ByteArray, FFTMode:Boolean = false, stretchFactor:int = 0):void

Takes a snapshot of the current sound wave and places it into the specified ByteArray object. The values are formatted as normalized floating-point values, in the range -1.0 to 1.0. The ByteArray object passed to the outputArray parameter is overwritten with the new values. The size of the ByteArray object created is fixed to 512 floating-point values, where the first 256 values represent the left channel, and the second 256 values represent the right channel.
    then read up on
    maybe get some insights from there

but as for saving... i'm not sure. not an expert in this field. But as far as i know there's no way to do it? I don't even know how to save text files, let alone sound.
    Last edited by Dazzer; December 5th, 2006 at 11:54 PM.

hi ... there also another problem in as3 with getMicrophone() actuealy it can not work with SoundMixer.computeSpectrum(). it seems we ll have to wait for Flash 9 final release

Thread Information