The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: How to position from bottom in IE?

How to position from bottom in IE?

Hi,
    I have a site where I need to position a div (nested inside another div) at the very bottom of its parent div. In Firefox and Safari it works fine with the following;
    Code:
    <div id="leftmenu">
    			<ul>
    				<li>&nbsp;</li>
    				<li>&nbsp;</li>
    				<li>&nbsp;</li>
    				<li>&nbsp;</li>
    				<li>&nbsp;</li>
    			</ul>

<div id="language">
            <ul>
              <li><a href="#">item 1</a></li>
              <li><a href="#">item 2</a></li>
              <li><a href="#">item 3</a></li>
            </ul>
          </div>
    		</div>
    and this css:
    Code:
    #language {
    	width: 180px;
    	margin: 0;
    	padding: 0;
    	position: absolute;
    	bottom: 0;
    }
    But this doesn't seem to work with IE for Mac. The "language" div simply disappears. Maybe because IE positions it below the bottom?
    I am simply not sure how I should calculate bottom positioning. Also I haven't checked this on PCs yet.
    Can somebody advice me?

you have to set the positioning on the parent div to relateive so what ever is inside it will be positioned absolute and you have to specify LEFT or RIGHT not just BOTTOM alone.

-al

OK, the parent div is relative but it doesn't change anything when I define left: 0;.
    What I wonder is; how does the browser place according to bottom? If I position something, left: 0; it is really simple to understand. The top left corner will be placed at 0.
    But if I have bottom: 0;, does the browser place the "lowest" part of the div 0px from the bottom (like it seems in Safari and Firefox). Or does it place the top, left corner 0px from the bottom. Or some other way?

here is an example of what i think you want but i dunno, maybe it might help you

-aldo

ps:just change the exstention on the file to .html
    Attached Files Attached Files

OK, I hadn't defined the parent div as relative as in your code. Only now the child div shows but not at the right place... it shows up much too high up. Will have a look at this again. THanks! that put me on track at least.

Hm, I can't really define the height of the parent div (different in each page) and right now the child div shows up way too high... and also often on top of the <li>'s in the parent div.
    Do I have to define the height or is it something else I am doing wrong?

no you dont have to i just did it for the example

just as long as you have enough content to make it expand.

and if you dont have enough content you can do this ive had past experiences like you might be having so i had find a workaround here goes

add and ID to the body tag for example, 2 pages with each different heights:

<body id="homepage">
    <body id="contactpage">

//-------
    now in css specify the height for each page since they are going to be diffrent heights.

body#homepage div#content{
    height:400px;
    }
    body#contactpage div#content{
    height:300px;
    }

might help ya
    -al
    Last edited by aldomatic; July 26th, 2006 at 05:47 PM.

Yeah, 5 already have body id's but 5 also have content in the parent div, which the child div doesn't seem to care much about!
    Thanks, will look into it more tomorrow

Uh.. For your information... IE6 does not support CSS "bottom" values. It completely ignores it. You can have left, top, right values, just not bottom.

You can use height / margin to imitate the effect...
    If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

"Are you doing anything tonight? If not, how about me?"

Opera Sucks! - FIX IT
    Oliver Zheng

Thread Information