Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Grrrr... CSS + IE6 woes

Grrrr... CSS + IE6 woes

Alright, so I'm building a page in CSS using the Web Developer toolbar in FireFox (highly recommended) to do some really cool on-the-fly testing. But, the same page in IE6 is completely different!

http://www.wirelessinteractive.com/indexcss.html

Is there some major issue I should know about between IE6 and FF when it comes to CSS? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful...

Also, is it possible to execute a certain CSS file based on the browser the user has (possibly via Javascript)?

Thanks in advance, Kirupans!

ouch big difference. um... cant say for sure as im heading out but these might help

http://www.stylegala.com/resources/css_hacks.htm

http://cssvault.com/cat_hacks.php

don't use browser specific css files. i haven't really looked at your code, but at first glance it looks like it might be a box model problem.

Box model... hmm... I'm not too familiar with what that is. From my understanding it has to do with the way that IE and FF render <DIV> tags, am I right?

yes. google it.

home cooking is killing the restaurant industry
    Quote Originally Posted by bwh2
    don't use browser specific css files. i haven't really looked at your code, but at first glance it looks like it might be a box model problem.
    Why not? Some browsers in particular have such awful support for standards that trying to use a catch-all stylesheet is simply not an option. Yes, it's a good guiding principle that you should try to make CSS as cross-browser as possible, but what about when that's not possible?
    There are only 10 kinds of people in this world:
    Those that might know ternary, those that do, and those that don't
    Say NO to DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by λ
    Why not? Some browsers in particular have such awful support for standards that trying to use a catch-all stylesheet is simply not an option. Yes, it's a good guiding principle that you should try to make CSS as cross-browser as possible, but what about when that's not possible?
    like what browsers?

Is there a way to easily create seperate CSS files for each browser?

Thread Information