The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Animated Symbol Outline/Stroke

Animated Symbol Outline/Stroke

Is it possible to add a stroke/outline to a symbol?

I am doing some character animation (for example a "walk cycle" symbol), and am looking to create a thicker outline around the symbol. I can't just draw the objects inside the symbol with a thicker stroke, as the outline only needs to be thicker when objects are outside the character.

For example, normally the character's arm would have a thick outline, but as it moves in front of the body the outline becomes thinner.

If you've seen the cartoon "Billy & Mandy" you know what i'm talking about:

http://mariannadias.tripod.com/siteb...g.w180h210.jpg

thanks,
    macnwook

In Flash 8 you can add all kinds of filters to movieclips.
    You can add a outer-glow filter to your character and set its strength to 1000%.

But for 2004....
    Yeah, maybe you could place the same movieclip in a layer underneath the normal one. Then scale it up and set its brightness to -100%
    This way you should have a nice animated border, but I think it will be hard to scale it so that it fits perfectly..

<! currently working on my online portfolio !>
    Previous known as BOKKE...

yeah, scaling a duplicate doesn't work well.. i've tried this for other things, and you're right about it not matching up uniformly.

looks like i'm off to get Flash 8 ! that sounds perfect!

Thread Information