Thread: iframe or something like it

iframe or something like it

I know not many people out there like using the <iframe> tag. I'm one of them - CSS is the best. However, in my case, I have to use it because it is the only way I know of to display another web page within a web page. I need to display another web page within a web page because the company I work for is using a third party company to do applicant tracking. They then create a directory online through a web page. My job is to design a web page around this directory to help sell the product/company. This third party company's suggestion is to just use regular frames to make a web page, but that sucks.

Here's the real dilema. I want the iframe to resize it's height. I know you can resize the iframe with a page with the same domain. But my page that I'm linking to is external. I've given up hope looking for a script that will resize an external web page in an iframe.

Here's the link to see what I'm talking about. http://www.psfcareercenter.com/careers.html

So, if anybody has any suggestions or any other way to call a web page into another web page that is dynamic, please post.

Thanx in advance!

It might be able to be resized like that with some though, but have you thought about a PHP Include?
    http://us2.php.net/include/
    -John Mazz

Thanks for the post. I took a look at the link you put up and to be honest, I don't know a darn about php. I'm a quick learner though and would appreciate some help on this.

Thanx.

Sure. I was genna post more but I wasnt sure about what you already knew or didnt know about php. Its fairly simple to be honest.

First of all, you'll have to know if your server supports PHP, most do.
    Then you'll have to rename your html file to php, so if its "index.html" it has to be "index.php"
    Then put this where you want your page to load:
    <?php
    include 'otherPage.html';
    ?>

The way it works is it'll prtty much take the HTML from the other code and just paste it right where you have that include code.

Let me knwo how it works, I can help out if you need it.
    -John Mazz

Sounds easy, like you said and my server does accept PHP. Will this work though even with an external page? What I mean by external, is a page on a different domain and server - such as Google? I'll try it out and let you know what I get.

Wow! That is really cool and super easy. Ok, this just sparked a whole new set of questions. Here's what I got - www.psfcareercenter.com/test.php

- It seems that the images and CSS of the external page don't load with the page; how do I fix that?

- How would I go about adding a link to this page that changes that external link? (preferably without going to an entire new site/just like an iframe). Right now the page loads google. How would I put a link on the page to just change the google part to yahoo?

- Is it possible to control the width of this? (Maybe if I put it in some CSS div tags.)

- I'll look for some good PHP forums but if you know any, could you post?

Thanks again for your help!

Hm. Yea thats a problem. Like I said, it copys and pastes the external site's code right into yours and it looks like the URL for the logo image doesnt directly link (its "images/logo.gif" rather then "http://www.googl.eocm/images/logo.gif") so when it loads in the code, it loosk for "images/logo.gif" on your server, which is a problem. Another forum might have a work-around, but I dont know any php forums really, I'd just google a couple. and I'll try to think of something in the mean time.
    -John Mazz

I've found a good forum and posted my questions there so that if anybody is having the same problems or has any suggestions, they can follow along.

http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtop...=243602#243602

Thread Information