Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: javascript security

javascript security

ok quick question

I think I know the answer but to be honest I hope I'm wrong.....

I work for a financial organisation and we have some info that we'd only like certain people to see. Now all this info is in a special section of the web site but the address to this section will be common knowledge. Ideally what should happen is

a user enters this address and they're faced with some terms & conditions with an accept/don't accept message. Click accept in you go, click don't accept you're redirected.

now this is easy enough if someone is going to the main page but if someone bookmarks another page in there and goes to it I'm unsure if there is a way in JavaScript to say "hey this user hasn't seen the terms yet"

But if I add this script to very page then there would need to be a way to record that they've accepted the terms & conditions so they don't get asked on every single page.

Anyway does anyone know if there is a way to do this with JavaScript?

you see the hosting account for this site doesn't support server side code and it would be easier if I could do this in JavaScript. I can do it in ASP fairly easily but.....anyway, can this be done using JavaScript?

now with blog, click here

never mind, I'll post this incase someone searches and has the same problem

JavaScript Cookies

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/cookies.html
    now with blog, click here

Thread Information