The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Reduce lag in flash games.

Reduce lag in flash games.

I posted this here because it is more on the graphical side of game design.

I recently created a game called PandaAttack. It was okay, everything worked well. However when I tried adding more features, it lagged. So I had to take them out.

The question is, what are some techniques to reduce lag on a game? (or any flash movie in general)

Bored!? Please rate these flash movies!

well i suggest oop if you not already using it

classes

being able to create new objects and delete them is the best way i can think of it

when ever you say thisfor example
    Code:
    test=new Array()
    when your done with you would say
    Code:
    delete test;
    flash doesnt really have any memory related functions so when you think of it the more memory you have the better, so its better to dynamically create objects on the run such as iterators etc... not everything in a game has to be dynamic though, like say

Code:
    var lives:Number=5
    it has a set amount of memory it takes up. and since as2 doesnt really have data types (int, long, double, char,float) you just have to assume that its the highest amount of memory it can take up. hence why the flash player is so slow... as3 introduces these types i think* as uint,int,double,,etc...

so you kind of have to work around that, also arrays take up alot of memory, so the bigger the array, the harder it is on you computers ram

-yours

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I can't see your codes!

Bored!? Please rate these flash movies!

Make sure you have as little code running in "onEnterFrame" functions as possible.

Make all offscreen movieclips invisible, and delete movieclips that aren't going to be used anymore...

Don't use semitransparency(eg: "_alpha = 66"), or use as little as you can manage.

Don't use a bunch of movieclips if the same task could be completed with fewer.

Made-up-but-probaby-true fact of the day: 99% of slowdowns in Flash are caused by graphical things.
    I created Trainyard and now I'm making more awful games.

Thread Information