The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: How Firefox & Netscape display pages?

How Firefox & Netscape display pages?

98% of the viewers of the pages I make use internet explorer. However, there are always some visitors who use Firefox or Netscape, right? When I go to any of those browsers and load up the pages, they sometimes load ok, but at times they show up with like a space between images or something is out of place. Check www.canospizza.com to see if you can see the same problem. When you hit the refresh button, if the page is ok it will sometimes load with the error. In Internet Explorer the show up perfect. Please help me understand this....

they use different page renderers to display pages - different logic. In fact, those used by Netscape and Firefox render pages better than IE does. A lot of people just design their pages to work for IE so they tend not to do so hot in other browsers

So.... It seems there's no work around. Should I keep trying to make other pages to work cross browser or should I concentrate on IE and let the other browsers alone?

Hi Hellion,

There are a lot of work arounds or hacks... There is no need to make two pages. The problem between the browsers is css and ie doesn't use the strict rules that netscape or firefox use.

Try using google to find solutions. That's what I always do and there is a lot about the differences between ie en other browsers.

Dutchy

the general idea is to work first forstandards compliant browsers (that is, not IE) and then add in the hacks that make it work for IE. Its easier than going the other way around

I would tend to agree with this argument ... however I find that designing for the target audience of your site is the way to go. If you're making the site for the regular joe then I would optimize for IE since, I believe its mostly us tech heads that use Firefox.

I downloaded the IE7 Beta to see if Microsoft fixed their $hit; they didn't. It still renders the page like crap. So I'm still going to design for IE since 98%-99% of the people going to my sites are using IE (some are using win98 ...) and keep my boss happy.
    PHP Code:
    <zip> echo this; </zip

What are the common hacks that I.E needs? I've been looking for info on what problems browser have for both PC and Mac, anyone have links to info they found good on this issue.

Cheers

quirksmode is a good place for them
    http://www.quirksmode.org/

I think I'll need a little insight about the hacks. Could anyone feed some some quick explanation? It's new territory for me. I understand most of you suggest to work targeting Fox and Scape first? When I started fixing canospizza.com I noticed that once it looked ok on fox ans scape it was already ok for ie. Sometimes had to do a little adjustment but most of it was done. My concern is since I advertise myself in the clients pages, it could backfire my little business to leave the pages all wrong in fox and scape... I also noticed flash webpages hardly look wrong on fox and scape.
    See www.lourdestoledo.com

Thanks for any help!

What does the php code you included does?

Quote Originally Posted by antizip
    I would tend to agree with this argument ... however I find that designing for the target audience of your site is the way to go. If you're making the site for the regular joe then I would optimize for IE since, I believe its mostly us tech heads that use Firefox.

I downloaded the IE7 Beta to see if Microsoft fixed their $hit; they didn't. It still renders the page like crap. So I'm still going to design for IE since 98%-99% of the people going to my sites are using IE (some are using win98 ...) and keep my boss happy.

that php code is his footer. Its on every post he creates.

The hacks are just extra things needed to make certain things work on IE. Sometimes you wont need them, and thats great. But IE has a lot of bugs and some things will need to be done to get around those bugs. If something looks wrong in IE but works ok in FF or NS, then it might be a result of such bugs. The hacks are ways to get around them and can be found on quirksmode. Again, if you dont need them and it looks fine on IE, great.

I checked on the quirksmode.org page and it's a bit confusing. Maybe I have to put more attention to it to understand. What kinds of hacks have you used to fix which problem, for example? I don't mean to take your time, but I'd like to have some idea... sorry

Thread Information