Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a webhost

Looking for a webhost

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so my apologies if it's not.

I'm looking around for a new webhost because I get the feeling that my current host is a bit too costly.

I'm currently with 1&1 on their Business Package costing 8.99 a month. I need to be able to host multiple websites with various domains including sub domains (currently 3 domains and 2 subdomains). POP3/IMAP mailboxes with different email aliases as well. I also need PHP4+, htaccess files and MySQL4+ with more than one user and preferably more than one database.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Oh, flexibility is always welcome so even if a host offers something that I don't require right now doesn't mean I won't find a use for it, I usually do!

E-mail this to Star@Loststarz.com, and he'll set you up right.

Uh don't trust that Usually free hosts are unreliable. Try www.surpasshosting.com or www.dreamhost.com

They're exceptionally good
    got pwnt?

Quote Originally Posted by .harish
    Uh don't trust that Usually free hosts are unreliable. Try www.surpasshosting.com or www.dreamhost.com

They're exceptionally good
    sorry .harish. I have been drinking... and I thought it better to delete the post I made before yours.

So what you wrote might seem out of context and I apologize.

@Sinister
    If you are looking for a host that will allow multiple domains you should do a google search for 'reseller hosting'. You will find that the reseller plans are sometimes very good for hosting your client's sites even if you have no intentions of 'selling web space on the internet'.

good luck.

Oh yeah, if you sign up for dreamhost -- be sure to use my referal id of hlall thankssss.
    got pwnt?

@.harish
    I'll look at those two. Dreamhost looks REALLY appealing with their 80% off at the moment. Works out to about $140 for two years I think which is probably around 100. If you've signed up to their affiliate program PM me your webid just in case I decide to go with them.

@Bill H
    Well, I have 3 personal sites hosted at the moment with the subdomains being used to give clients easy access to developments. I don't intend to host client sites but I'll take a look because it might actually be handy.

@LostStarz
    Thanks but I'll pass, I'd rather go directly through a company.

Edit: My math is really off! Dreamhost is $114 (64 without adding coversion surcharges if there are any) with their promotion for 2 years! Interesting...
    Last edited by Sinister Shadow; October 5th, 2005 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Shadow
    @.harish
    I'll look at those two. Dreamhost looks REALLY appealing with their 80% off at the moment. Works out to about $140 for two years I think which is probably around 100. If you've signed up to their affiliate program PM me your webid just in case I decide to go with them.

@Bill H
    Well, I have 3 personal sites hosted at the moment with the subdomains being used to give clients easy access to developments. I don't intend to host client sites but I'll take a look because it might actually be handy.

@LostStarz
    Thanks but I'll pass, I'd rather go directly through a company.

Edit: My math is really off! Dreamhost is $114 (64 without adding coversion surcharges if there are any) with their promotion for 2 years! Interesting...
    As I said -- use hlall as your referer
    got pwnt?

As I said -- use hlall as your referer
    You posted while I was typing! Guess what though... If I use the promo code then the refferer is ignored!

aw seriously

you wouldn't be willing to help out a helper instead of saving a bit of extra cash would you? Pweezness. I could use some money.
    Last edited by hl; October 5th, 2005 at 05:45 PM.
    got pwnt?

aw seriously

you wouldn't be willing to help out a helper instead of saving a bit of extra cash would you? Pweezness. I could use some money.

edit:/
    I'll send you 40USD via paypal ? (once i recieve the referal money)

edit2:/ btw that 80% is only off of your first year.

Yeah, I noticed that it's the first year only and they create the quote themselves. I haven't decided if I'm definitely going with them AND I don't use PayPal! I'll keep you posted though.

Edit: I'm strapped for cash too, that's why I'm looking for alternatives

I desperately want Flash 8 for my site aswell but I might have to go for a completely different design if this keeps up.

I'm living on my own at uni and a student is well known for being penniless whether he/she spends it knowingly or not! It's a new experience to say the least!
    Last edited by Sinister Shadow; October 5th, 2005 at 05:49 PM.

fine if you go with them feel free to use the 888 deal. i'll just tell them i refered you attempting to get 97 dollars from them anyway. if i get it i'll still send 40 bucks how's that sound?
    got pwnt?

fine if you go with them feel free to use the 888 deal. i'll just tell them i refered you attempting to get 97 dollars from them anyway. if i get it i'll still send 40 bucks how's that sound?

I decided to go for DreamHost. It's not too bad on the whole although the UNIX user restrictions are new to me and an annoyance when I want to share files with other users. You effectively have to use the same ftp account. The control panel is a bit messy but you get used to it. Still I'm happy and I can't complain for what I'm getting.

what's your webid and domain?

edit:/ actually [webid or domain] and email you signed up with

edit2:/ btw: it does the same with mediatemple -- somewhat pisses me off
    Last edited by hl; October 7th, 2005 at 06:49 PM.
    got pwnt?

The ftp stuff? Well I've just realised how very limiting it is in terms of being a 'super admin' of multiple domains. I am actually considering going back to my old webhost because DreamHost isn't letting me delete two folders because they .htaccess files that I can't see because somehow the access rights were changed! ARGH!

I'm sure they're a great host but they have so many quirks I don't know if I should stay especially because the single ftp account per domain means collaborative work is almost out of the question. I'll PM you my webID and my website is http://projiris.com but it's currently offline because I just removed the files to reorganise the directories to something more tidy than the default.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information