Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Posting: All Kirupians please read

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern
    I hope no one minds if I play a little devil's advocate here, but controlling the content of a forum is impossible. Only the populus can control what is posted here.

Allow me to elaborate.

In some respects people don't deserve to be ripped on. For example people who don't speak English very well. But in other respects people do deserve to get ripped on. For example "fools who use leet speak" as you mentioned. Ripping on people is a way to control the content of this forum. What about people who don't search before they post. If they get ripped a good one they will probably be inclined to search before they post next time. My point being that this community has a way of regulating itself.

One more thing about "ripping on people" in general. This is a forum, not real life. Here you can be something you are not in real life. Some people take this to a new extreme and want to come in here acting like tough guys by degrading, talking down to others, and just generally being a prick. I think that there is really no way around it. It's going to happen. But if you are like me, you just accept that that's the way it is. There is no avoiding it, just accept that the person talking to you probably has some personal issues and wants to come here and take it out on people he/she can't see and will never meet.

That's my 2 cents.
    I concur with GreenLantern.
    Member #2 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club.

... and what about stiff serious people? We all fool around sometimes and that could be read as an attack on someone... Im not defending anyone but ther are people who cant take criticism/ get offended at every word that they dont understand/ know better and nothing we say will be enough.

my opinion is the same as GreenLanterns
    -|- gabriel: going up or down? devill: guess... -|- roses on DA -|-
    -|- I agree with nokrev's footer -|- Member #13-ish of the 'Wacom Tablets Pwn' club
    -|-

Quote Originally Posted by Berg
    ... and what about stiff serious people? We all fool around sometimes and that could be read as an attack on someone... Im not defending anyone but ther are people who cant take criticism/ get offended at every word that they dont understand/ know better and nothing we say will be enough.
    So true. So true. I think that idea alone was the main contributor to the fall of the ordered forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern
    One more thing about "ripping on people" in general. This is a forum, not real life. Here you can be something you are not in real life. Some people take this to a new extreme and want to come in here acting like tough guys by degrading, talking down to others, and just generally being a prick. I think that there is really no way around it.
    This forum is a place for people to get help. It's isn't the typical run-of-the mill spam forum where anything goes. Some level of professionalism is expected, and as many here know, is also enforced

People can have issues, they can live a double life, etc. But if they decide to be disruptive, they should find another forum to post in.

Quote Originally Posted by kirupa
    This forum is a place for people to get help. It's isn't the typical run-of-the mill spam forum where anything goes.
    If that's what you want to believe.... For me personally (and I beleive for a lot of other people) this place is something more than that.

If that is the case, why is there a Random? Why not get rid of it?

I can't remember seeing any harsh comments in the last week or so, well at least to my knowledge. But yeh it is not nice to talk to someone as if they are stupid just because they are starting out or whatever.

But I believe that cticism brings out the best in people.

Still I hear what you're all saying. Apart from a few patches in the last few years though I think this forum has been very well behaved.

Even in Random, everyone is expected to not be disruptive, make personal attacks, etc. Professionalism != no fun

A distinction needs to be made between harsh criticism and constructive criticism. There is an entire forum dedicated to critiques, so by no means are the mods advocating a stop to all critiquing. Constructive criticism helps the designer/programmer/etc. to do a better job. Harsh criticism involves personal insults designed to humiliate the designer. That is obviously not allowed!

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

i agree with GL's last page thread saying that people using i337 ,leet language or whatever that is should be given some workout, yes G, criticism brings the best out of people only if its constructive, i dont come from an english speaking country either and sure i do make some mistakes and i have faced 2 types of people telling me about it..

1> have you ever been to school you ignorant fool? then another member asking me if we still make impala cars on our own there, third one joining in as the member who started this insult train is famous and obviously has friends (its been a while, but i am sure you remember that Kman)

2> sends a decent pm message pointing out some major mistakes, ends with a smile and a note saying " hope you dont mind and please stop shortcuts, it spoils your language/grammer plus its not nice to read even...

that first incident pushed me back as a newbie on here, i did'nt participate in anything other than random for a long time...

G said "it is not nice to talk to someone as if they are stupid just because they are starting out or whatever." If you have the same problem dont bother talking to him/her and G they are not stupid just because they are starting and new to this forum thing...

Bad things aren't supposed to happen to pretty people damn it! - nobody

Okay if you have nothing nice to say don't post. Does this go for the guy asking which is better to buy, PC or a Mac?

Some people see fun in being harsh and coming with smart *** comments. I think overall people on Kirupa are very friendly (even though kirupa didn't anwser my instant message lol). I've been on worse forums.

Howdy peoples, I'm relatively new to Kirupa, and have found it to be enormously helpful with my web projects. The people here also have been extremely nice, I just wish I knew more about Flash So that I could contribute more. That being said, though I am a proffessional graphic designer and have long since been hardened to criticism. I think its important that people aren't rude or mean but its also important that they be honest about the problems that exist in a persons designs. I come here because I want to grow as a designer and find my visits most beneficial when people are forward with me about my short comings.

Now obviously some people hold their designs closer to their heart than others, but it is ultimately my passion for my work that motivates me to seek criticism.

You guys like Conan the Barbarian? perhaps you rember this Nietzsche quote, "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." Personally I like a quote from later on in the film where Conan is asked "what is greatest in life?" and some other guy answers, " the wind in your hair, on your horse, yada yada yada." And then Conan responds, "Crushing your enemy, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentaions of the women."

peace
    zago

To start off, I know this is an old thread. An old one, but a good one. I hope more people read this.

In my opinion, people are generally very nice on here. You have the occassional jerk, which you are bound to get, but you cannot really help that. I have been perusing these forums before I joined for some time, and I must say I am impressed by the amount of professionals, even those posing professionals, on this forum. Being professional and mature is important, however, no one really likes a tightwad. Professional criticism is always helpful; in fact, I would like it if more professionals perused the help sections--constructive, not malicious, criticism improves the one who questions as well as the one who answers in more ways than one--however it seems like mostly mods answer to those type of questions. As for the minority and culture cards, I have a rhetorical question for all of you out there who belittle others, and maybe this can help to stave off future offenders, if they see this of course.

Who are you to think that you are always right?
    There is always someone better and smarter than you, thats just life.

Who are you to think that your "race" is superior?
    We are all human, the same living, breathing, animals. Get used to it. Skin color means absolutley nothing.

Who are you to say that your culture is right, and all others are wrong?
    The world is a diverse place, get used to it. For all you caucasian (aka "white" or "cracker"- a bad sterotype)(I am caucasian) people in the United States, we are the fattest one of the dumbest of world powers. That does not bode well for the average citizen, and neither does it make you special.

Who are you to judge someone by how they speak?
    People may not generally be well spoken, but that does not mean they aren't nice people, with FEELINGS. We all deny feelings, yet we all have them. So next time, before you say something snide, consider this.

Well, this is indeed true as said by upuant. The person who laughed at the weak ones, actually laughs at himself. He/She once started there too and made the same mistake which he had a hard time understanding. Everything has a beginning and these people come here to learn not make fun of themselves. Well, I would say that this should not only be in this board. It should be stickied to ALL boards so before anyone could type in anything, he may read this first.

Very good...I think that is a big problem with many forums...

Quote Originally Posted by darkplanets
    Who are you to say that your culture is right, and all others are wrong?
    The world is a diverse place, get used to it. For all you caucasian (aka "white" or "cracker"- a bad sterotype)(I am caucasian) people in the United States, we are the fattest one of the dumbest of world powers. That does not bode well for the average citizen, and neither does it make you special.
    Lmao! Sad...but true.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information