Thread: sockets/multiplayer games

sockets/multiplayer games

well since i saw a lot of topics added to the forum on multiplayer games i just had a question do u need to hav a web provider to hav a multiplayer game?

Mostly. Inorder to use the sockets you really need a [b]dedicated[b] server. i.e. not free and not shared as you need access to the ports on the server and hosts generally don't give those out.
    There are ways around using sockets for multiplayer games but I don't think they are as effecient.
    However I say that with no multiplayer development under my belt so someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

thx dinner dog

Quote Originally Posted by dinner dog
    Mostly. Inorder to use the sockets you really need a [b]dedicated[b] server. i.e. not free and not shared as you need access to the ports on the server and hosts generally don't give those out.
    There are ways around using sockets for multiplayer games but I don't think they are as effecient.
    However I say that with no multiplayer development under my belt so someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Euhm, you're completely right . You can download either a prewritten socket server (SmartFox server, Unity, Elektroserver, MacroMedia Server, etc), or you can build your own using Perl/Python/... . The problem is indeed to find a server. I have been looking for a server for about a few years now... . If you really want to build a MP game, just build it, and worry about the server later. As in my case, you might just find a sponsor who is willing to host your game. In the meantime you can set up your own server at home using Apache (+your socket server afcourse) and test from there.

Good luck and have fun!
    Some stuff: My ActionScript Blog - A* pathfinding for TB games
    Games: Quadri - JawBreaker - more to come...

I'm not extirly sure as to how fast it is but htis guy has a socket server in php and there are free web hosts for that

http://www.phparch.com/discuss/index...26/0/#msg_3326
    Skype Me?
    hitTest on my system does 4250 hitTests in 1/12 of a second.

thx

Actually... from my exerperience, you still need command line access (SSH) and access to a command line version of PHP to run a php socket. I wrote one (see my footer) as well as a version in Java. I've looked around and the only ones that seem to fit my needs a complete or maybe a virtual dedicated servers costing upwards of $40/month
    Jerez_z Prime
    jStudios - Yay google pages! God I'm Lazy....

Thread Information