Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "improvise" yourself a copy of Flash 8..

hack yourself a copy of Flash 8..

This is a copy/paste job of my most recent blog post (I'm not that full of myself, I just didn't feel like retyping it all). I really didn't know where to post this, but this seemed as good a spot as any..

17JUL05
    Hack Yourself a copy of Flash 8!

If you're a Flash nerd like I, you've been chomping at the bit to get your grubbly lil paws on a copy of the newest version of Flash. Well, chomp no longer, pally - with a few simple hacks, you too can begin publishing Flash 8 content straight away.
    First you'll need to coaxe your copy of Flash MX 2004 to publish version 8 .swf files. To do so, navigate your way to this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash MX 2004\en\Configuration\Publish Profiles

(I have no idea where that is on a MAC. If you were sick enough in the head to buy one, you can find it yourself). Within that directory, you will find a file called "default.xml". Copy this file, save it as "flash8.xml" then open it up in your favorite xml editor or Notepad++, if you're a cheapskate like me.
    On the top line, change the name attribute from "Default" to "Flash 8". Now, find the "PublishFlashProperties" node and change the child node "version" node value from 7 to 8 and save the file. Open up Flash and bring up your publish settings dialog box. At the top of the box is a dropdown box labeled "current profile". Just to the right of the dropdown box is a import/export button. Click it and import the "Flash 8.xml" file you just saved. You will see see under the flash tab that you will now be publishing to version Flash Player 8 (you may have to shut then reopen your publish settings box to see this change take effect). Hot damn! Half way home...

To fully enjoy all the benefits of the flash 8 player you will need to have access to the flash 8 class files. Take a quick trip over to MTASC.org and download the most recent version of mtasc. In the .zip file you receive, you will find a folder labeled "std". Save this folder (along with all its contents of course) to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash MX 2004\en\Configuration\Classes.

Now, if you prefer compiling with MTASC, knock yourself out. Me, I'm perfectly happy inside the Flash IDE. Anyway, that's it, baby. Go hogwild.
    Try this quick test to get you started. Create a movie clip (just draw a shape and convert it to a movie clip symbol - doesn't have to be fancy pants right away) and give it an instance name of "my_mc". Up in an actionscript layer copy and paste this quick little script:

var myFilters = new Array();
    var myShadow = new flash.filters.DropShadowFilter();
    myFilters.push(myShadow);
    my_mc.filters = myFilters;

Publish this test file and open it in a browser equipped with the new Flash 8 Player (If someone could tell me how to set the Flash 8 player as my default Flash IDE player so testing could be done in the Flash environment rather than a browser, I'd be most obliged). Gaze in awe. Soon you'll be creating nifty neato files such as this one here: http://www.onebyonedesign.com/flash/f8/test1/ (of course you'll need the version 8 player installed to see what I'm talking about. Duh).

Have fun and share your results.

By the way, if you jack up your copy of Flash trying any of the above, don't come crying to me. I didn't tell you to do nothin', man...
    This knowledge is a combination of about 20 different other blog posts I've read. I apologize if the info's already been posted here..

d.

Two questions...

First, is this legal ??

Second, Does it actually give you the flash8 program ? or just the player ?
    And if the former is the case then does it really perform like the final flash8 will ?

It doesn't give you the program, or the player..... it just allows you to publish using the new features that the Flash Player 8 incorporates. This means that you will not be able to do anything unless you have the flash player 8 (which is currently available in a Beta from Mike Chambers blog btw)

About the legalities, I guess we'll have to wait a day or two to see what happens

or wait a few hours for the mods to "move" the thread... sounds cool.. but thats still hacking... don't know...

They call me Buffawhat now... like Uber, but more gay

lol.. I'm just a Flash outlaw.. As far as screwing with .swf's its perfectly fine - it's open source and that's why there are so many decompilers about.. How the good folks of mtasc got a hold of all those new classes and whether or not they were supposed to release them to the general public.. well.. that's another story..

wow, I've always waited for an opporunity to make my work less compatible without any real benefits

for those smart enough to buy a Mac, the path is:
    Macintosh HD/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Flash MX 2004/en/Configuration/Publish Profiles/default.xml

Well if you plan on doing this hack, some of you guys might find this quite interesting....

http://script.com.ua/dev/materials.php?id=11

home cooking is killing the restaurant industry
    Just fyi, you guys, we removed this thread just because we weren't sure about the legality, or how MM would feel about this. But Mark Chambers clarified MM's position a little, so everything's fine now.
    There are only 10 kinds of people in this world:
    Those that might know ternary, those that do, and those that don't
    Say NO to DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by McGiver
    wow, I've always waited for an opporunity to make my work less compatible without any real benefits
    exactly what i was thinking.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Templarian
    exactly what i was thinking.
    Well, this ain't exactly for commercial work.. This is for developers who want a headstart on the new features/code, etc.. Of course folks can just wait for version 8 to be released and read all our tutorials..

Quote Originally Posted by electrikmonk
    for those smart enough to buy a Mac, the path is:
    Macintosh HD/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Flash MX 2004/en/Configuration/Publish Profiles/default.xml
    heh heh.. a little Mac humor never hurts.. we're all friends here.. Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll update my website later..

and what does this new player really do ????

did anyone get this thing to run on a mac?
    --
    ...do you remember where it was at?

for those still confused about why flash 8 is so cool for developers and those using flash to make cool stuff, check out this thread.

If you don't want to read through the thread, basically, it suuports filters like blur or drop shadowing, overlay modes, like in hptoshop, like darken or overlay, and it allows us to directly manipulate pixels on bitmap objects.

It is also possible to tell the player to cache bitmaps for objects, which basically renders it once, then stores that bitmap, and then just redraws the bitmap, unless it needs to recalculate the vector. Bascially it gives it a pretty good performance boost.

Could you post the Flash8.xml file? I can't get it working... or if you could send me it through email, that'd be great... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information