The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you HAVE to use iTunes with iPods?

Do you HAVE to use iTunes with iPods?

Just wondering: can you just drag and drop mp3s onto your iPod through Explorer, or do you *have* to use iTunes to transfer songs in order to play them on the iPod? I'm not talking about data, just mp3s that you actually play ont he iPod itself...

I think you should visit my site.

i don't think you can drag them through explorer - the music files are put into 1 of 50 folders in iPod_control folder (hidden). there are alternative programs available though.

although, if you isntall linux onto your iPod you're able to browse the files and you may be able to do it that way.
    "60% of the time it works... every time." -- Paul Rudd as Brian Fantana.

You can't just drag and drop tunes onto your iPod, it doesn't work like that.

Ya don't have to use iTunes either, there are some other aps that will do it.

There is some application that enables you to drag and drop files in explorer to the Ipod, but it dident work werry well dont remember the name of it either, im using EHPOD to add archives to my ipod, the trickiest thing with the ipod is too change the album name due to missing ID tags.. but with EHPOD you can select the tracks you just uploaded and change the album name so they all will be shown in the same alubum

I think if you drag and drop mp3s in it it will just take them as archive files (just like a hard drive - a really slow one).. iTunes actually creates the music list that iPod will read.

Also, there is a program (unfortunately not free) called copyPod that will let you do this, you can go both ways as well, both dragging songs from your iPod to your HD and from your HD to your iPod

[at least i think you can.. i only used it to take them off of my iPod]

um i think you can ... go to itunes first though... go to the options, you'll see ipod options

over there you should check to let the ipod work as an external hd

then you can click it straight from my computer and drag and drop

i never used it this way.. but i heard that it can mess up the harddrive pretty bad if you don't eject the ipod before unplugging it
    got pwnt?

He means like update so you can listen to the songs hLaLL, not just store them as data.

You can un-hide your music folder on your iPod but im pretty sure dragging music into the folders is gonna screw it all up, as the iPod has a specific way of doing it.

i think they have some sort of notes folder for data outside of that is songs

but i don't know... you can try though
    got pwnt?

Ah well. I guess you can't do the 'drag and drop from explorer' thing with *any* mp3 player, can you? If it's not iTunes, it'd be - *gulp* - WMP!

But anyway, I just don't like being restricted like that... I guess I'll have to live with it.
    btw, I'm thinking of getting an iPod shuffle 512mb. I've done a bit of shopping around, and A$150 for 512mb seems quite competitive (surprisingly, since it is an Apple product).

And the lack of screen doesn't bother me. See, it only shows you the song name, right? Which means you can scroll through the tracks quickly, but all you have to do is hear the first half-second of a song to recognise it.

Anyways, thanks for the info, guys

If it's not iTunes, it'd be - *gulp* - WMP!
    Do.... Sorry, should, iPod's work with WMP? When I first got my iPod I stuck it on the XP laptop with MP10 and it wouldn't work. I've just learnt to stick with iTunes, as crappy as it absoloutly isn't...

No, iPods won't work with WMP, theres probably a plug-in you can download tho.

btw, I'm thinking of getting an iPod shuffle 512mb. I've done a bit of shopping around, and A$150 for 512mb seems quite competitive (surprisingly, since it is an Apple product).
    Whats the point? You could get an MP3 with a screen and the same amount of memory for like $50. Seriously man.

no you can't... you might notice that apple is actually cheaper because of the no screen thing

for 100 dollars you'd probably get 256mb instead of 512
    got pwnt?

Quote Originally Posted by hLaLL
    no you can't... you might notice that apple is actually cheaper because of the no screen thing

for 100 dollars you'd probably get 256mb instead of 512
    mmyeah. I have done a bit of shopping around. Apple's prices are actually better than Creative's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information