Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Installing a PHP server on XP

Installing a PHP server on XP

Ok, here goes.
    I am very sceptical about this but hey.
    Does anybody know where I can find a tutorial that tells you step by step how to install a PHP Apache server on windows XP? I know that there are loads out there but I've tried alot and loads of them don't help. The code is never processed when I've finished and always comes up as the source code not as what it's supposed to be. (Don't suggest the tutorial on Kirupa becasue the person who did it seems to think that you can change the CHMod of a file in it's properties but you can't)
    Is there anyone out there!?

really there's not much reason not to use one of the easy install packages like WAMP ( http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php ) or XAMP ( http://www.apachefriends.org/en/ )

They take a lot of the guesswork out and come in nice solid configurations.

cool. I'm downloading XAMP (or something like that) from apachefriends.
    I hope it works

have u used an installer package for your php?

I used the tutorial on kirupa and it worked fine for me so you might have done something wrong... anyway i also live in the south of england!

I've used a WAMP installation on a memory key for testing purposes, and it has worked very well.

Our production server is linux, however : )

PHP Dev

try this http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdev5/ its a PHP/Apache/MySQL/PERL/phpMyAdmin/PHP-GTK bundle that installs everything for you at the double click of an icon.

i had lots of problems installing PHP on Xp and this was the only thing that worked for me

Tom

Sounds good but I don't need all that right now. Apache is really all I need.
    Thanks though anyway. I'll probably come back here at a later date

Thread Information