The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: php/mysql limit function, help

php/mysql limit function, help

Hey guys and gals.
    I'm trying to pull the top two rows off of my mysql database through php, sorting by ID. I'm just having a sliiiight problem doing it. This is the code I'm using to query the database at the moment.

PHP Code:
    $query mysql_query" SELECT * FROM mainpage WHERE page = 1 ORDER BY ID DESC LIMIT 0 , 2 " ); 

Quote Originally Posted by xxviii
    Hey guys and gals.
    I'm trying to pull the top two rows off of my mysql database through php, sorting by ID. I'm just having a sliiiight problem doing it. This is the code I'm using to query the database at the moment.

PHP Code:
    $query mysql_query" SELECT * FROM mainpage WHERE page = 1 ORDER BY ID DESC LIMIT 0 , 2 " ); 
    PHP Code:
     $query mysql_query" SELECT * FROM mainpage WHERE page = 1 ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 2 " ); 

yeah what he said

Actually if you want the top 2, as in the first two, it would need to be:
    PHP Code:
     $query mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mainpage WHERE page=1 ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 2"); 

Thanks guys. I did that before but obviously I did something wrong because it gave me an error

Thank you

If I remember correctly, to select a range (for example 2,4) you need to put brackets around the numbers:

PHP Code:
     $query mysql_query" SELECT * FROM mainpage WHERE page = 1 ORDER BY ID DESC LIMIT (0,2) " ); 
    But since 0,2 is the same as 2, just use LIMIT 2 as said above.
    Wait, what?

Thanks voets

Thread Information