Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Ming, Flash & PHP - noobie Q's

Ming, Flash & PHP - noobie Q's

I'm trying to get into using Ming and I've already have a couple of problems. I've searched the net for a few really basic tuts but only come up with a few. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I'd be very happy!

Noob question 1: When I've entered the code in notepad, what extension would I use when saving?

2. Can I create the graphics, buttons etc in Flash and simply attach the Ming code in the AS Panel?

3. Can Ming codes be used within a projector or does it have to call the server?

Sorry if these are really lame questions, but I really can't find the answers anywhere...

Yossi

1- you save your ming code as a PHP file (.php)

2- Ming and the FlashIDE do not work together in most instances. You can use Ming to load pre-made graphics from a SWF file created in the FlashIDE, but the buttons must be created either in Ming or by actionscript

3- AFAIK, only the FlashIDE and some 3rd party software can create projector files, not Ming

For a basic Ming tute, check out http://jerryscript.hostrocket.com/php/ming/lessons/

For specific questions, I recomend the Ming mailing list (ming-fun) which can be subscribed to from the Ming homepage at http://ming.sourceforge.net

Thank you Jerryscript!

I will certainly look into it!

Ok so I saved the code in notepad and saved as .php...then what do I do? Sorry about this.....

Assuming you have Ming installed on your server, you view your code in a browser, and depending upon the method of ouput (either $movie->save(FILENAME,9); or $movie->output(9);), the swf file will be created or output dynamically to the browser.

Thread Information