The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: php to asp

php to asp

how hard is it transitioning from php to asp? im looking on learning asp soon incase i get any big corporate design jobs.

well php is a lot easier than asp... in my humble opinion....

^ agreed

it seems to make more sense, every time i try to get into ASP i get bored....and frustrated...

the only thing i have tried to learn in asp is how to to make a form for support questions. then the modivation ended. I think php just has so many more resouces and support forums out there. And those who are proficent in php are usually nicer and more willing to offer free help. Now the only time I use asp is when i am faking and really parsing php.

If you know very little about asp then go to http://www.w3schools.com they cover the basics pretty well. Good luck

i honestly think that is not very interesting to learn asp nowadays, at least you could deep into asp.net that is newer language. anyway, migrating to asp is, as everybody said, frustrating, and very boring too... i was using asp for 2 years, and i hated it like hell... php is simpler, more popular and easier to get help, but that's my opinion based on my experience (and my limited mind too )

yeah but isnt learning .net good incase you get a job with a big company?

in some cases... but a lot of times they don't care which language it's in... as long as it works and works good

asp looks good in your portfolio though of course
    got pwnt?

Being out here in the workforce. I have come across way more ASP and JSP jobs than PHP. I have even seen coldfusion on the rise. I have not really tried PHP but ASP I know pretty well and there always seems to be jobs in it.

shane-c....Your site is a lot like a transvestite in that respect.
    fester8542.I'd hit it like the fist of an angry God .
    JoshuaJonah.I design for DDD. Then clients usually like it, and the ladies find me more attractive.
    Cybercode Albert Einstein Said that my math teacher has that on his wall

K-Emmys-06: Best "Best Mod" K-Emmys-06: Best "Most Creative Critic"

Member #1 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club

in spain php has more offers than asp and jsp, and .net is rising but not yet at php level. nowadays we are living the open source expansion. the company i work for has many govern and official customers, and they are demanding more and more open source solutions for their systems, so php is really my way of life. for instance the tax office has recently changes from windows to linux and so more of them.

i wish more people would go coldfusion, i love that language, so easy to learn and use.

yes CF is pretty tight

shane-c....Your site is a lot like a transvestite in that respect.
    fester8542.I'd hit it like the fist of an angry God .
    JoshuaJonah.I design for DDD. Then clients usually like it, and the ladies find me more attractive.
    Cybercode Albert Einstein Said that my math teacher has that on his wall

K-Emmys-06: Best "Best Mod" K-Emmys-06: Best "Most Creative Critic"

Member #1 of the "I wont critique Timmytot's designs anymore" club

May i ask what does coldfusion actually do??

but coldfusion is expensive to run as it needs dedicated servers.

As far as I am aware codfusion is Macromedia's own server side language that they have designed to be code efficient and intigrate easily with html and flash. Its expensive though...

yeah coldfusion is macromedia's server-side language. It very clean and easy to use compared to other languages. But it does cost around 4-5k to put on a server if i can remember correctly.

update:

i may be getting a job designing a site for a university. I gotta learn asp quick hehe.

so did you get the job with the university, well regarding asp, i currently have some asp.NET experiece, i've also worked with asp, but dedicated to PHP i am! all i can say is that asp.net is not all that, in my opinion its just a m$ standard that makes use of their servers, including mssql to work on the web, as far as speed and security i can stick with PHP, in my experience i can say that if you know PHP or ASP one of these if you know it well, you should be able to convince your clients... why do coorporations want ms technology anyways...??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information