The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isometric - Too ambitious?

Isometric - Too ambitious?

Hey everyone, first off I'd like to welcome myself to these forums, they look very spangly.

I used to be here, before they got moved, under a different name, probably Pez, or PezDemon... I can't remember!

Ok, here's my problem...

I am a pixel artist, and I want to create my new website in flash, with a pixel theme to it... Basically, there will be a little pixel person in an isometric room, and when a user hovers over an object in the room, a description will appear in a pop-up (already found that tutorial on this site- thanks! ) - but then when they click it, I want the little person to walk over to the object... and then the link to carry on... go to a new page etc.

I have absolutly no idea how to do this, I am a complete beginner, so please be clear, or link to sites that arent written in uber g33k speak.

Thanks for your time, I will be sure to stick around and get posting!

PS. I have attatched my latest piece of pixel work so you can get idea of scale etc.

PPS. These smilies are cool! <-- ninja!!

if you're a 'complete beginner', then it might be a little ambitious. I have a simple key controlled iso example here
    http://www.umbc.edu/interactive/fla/isometric.swf
    http://www.umbc.edu/interactive/fla/isometric.fla
    but thats not including path finding...
    ahmed's example does here (between 2 points in an open grid):
    http://www.kirupaforum.com/showthrea...r=15#post82974
    Still... if you are getting it done, chances are you arent writing it yourself, and youd be using other pre-written code. Im sure theres more complete examples around which you can assimilate into your own work. You'll just have to search for them.

Thanks, but I dont need anything quite that complex... I am just wondering how to move a movie (cant remember what your meant to call it) - along a path when a user clicks something =\

but thats what Im saying, it IS that complex... unless you want to pre-animate it all by hand

Hmmm

*ponders*

Maybe ahmeds thing will be my best bet... I havent a clue really... maybe I'll just have animations going on and then wont bother having the person going to the object....

I believe what Ember is looking for is to make a movie clip of the walking animations of the little person and then when someone clicks something, to ease the mc of the person to what was clicked.

I think you got it, I want to have a little walking animation, and when someone clicks an object (only certain objects will be clickable) the person will do the walking animation and follow a set path from where they are, to the object... preferably in an isometric way, ie. down and then across - not diaganally.

hey
    good my thing would help.. anyways, in my example, you'll have to enter the IsoCoordinates to get to the block you want.. if you wanna do that by clicking on the block itself, you'll need to write a function that will convert the _xmouse and _ymouse to the iso-coordinates the block's iso-coordinates... i tired doing that and i half-succeeded.. let me know if you found a solution

Half succeeded eh ahmed?

I could write a basic path finding script... But it would take me a while to sit and think about how it would go again.. I have the idea in my head..

And what ahmed is talking about is...

When you click the mouse.. Register the _xmouse and _ymouse locations. Then you just test how close they are to the nearest set of tile coordinates... Then you just have the guy "run through" without you being able to see him.. A guy will sit and think of the path he will take before he walks.

aiMarz : v. 11.34c - Current Version

to get a block out of the _x/_ymouse use

Code:
    gridPosition = function(x, y){
    	var xm = x/spacing;
    	var ym = y/spacing;
    	return {x:Math.round((xm + 2*ym)/2), y:Math.round((xm - 2*ym)/2)};
    }
    where the 0,0 block centered on 0,0 of the movieclip and spacing is the height of a single block (where its width is spacing * 2)

... theres also a more intuitive way of handling things with a rotated and scaled clip... Ill do a writeup on isometrics and cover that (when I have time - maybe tonight since its friday and I have no life )

...though common grid detection like that is done through buttons - each grid space is an attached button with its press revealing its position in the iso grid

[edit] code typo (missing })[/edit]
    Last edited by senocular; February 21st, 2003 at 03:49 PM.

*looks around in a dazed confusion*

Most of that was so far over my head it was insane!!

I understand a bit of what you've written, such as the word "button"... I am gonna go read all the tutorials on this site until I undertand something!

Ya man.. if you couldn't udnerstand what sen wrote.. You might wanna take your adventures down a notch for now...

Just use his isometric movement and allow the user to walk the character around instead of clicking around.. It's alot easier and for what you wanna do it would probably create a better effect
    aiMarz : v. 11.34c - Current Version

Thank anyways, I hope someone works out how to do this

i tried using your way marz (which is sen's way too), but it didnt really work, and, if i try to describe why it wouldnt then i'll probably confuse you and myself.. but it just didnt (:

ok I know I said Id try to write something up on isometric broo-haha but something came up and I got distracted in all my self-absorbtion

So what Im going to do is go home now, get some grub, loaf a little and then sit at my desk and do what I can until I pass out, then finish up tomorrow and post it up.

What I'll cover is (planning so at least)

- what is isometry
    - applications of isometry
    - the grid system
    - isometric drawing vs isometric coding
    - approaches to working with isometric grids
    - arrays & loops and their use in the creation of grids
    - objects within isometric grids

and hopefully get to cover more about:

- screen object interaction
    - movement - progressing from one location to another (not specifically isometric-related)
    - simple pathfinding along an obstacle ridden path in a grid (not specifically isometric-related)
    - vertical positioning within a flat iso plane
    - methods of depth handling and ways to cheat depth (hehe - well *I* thought it was funny)

... and other things which I may not be able to remember at this time.

Come to think of it, thats a lot to cover, and much of that can be very in depth. Well, Ill do what I can and slap up what comes out of it hopefully tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information