Thread: "Could not use move tool because the target channel is hidden"

"Could not use move tool because the target channel is hidden"

I keep getting a pop up that reads
    whenever I try to move the content of one of my layers. The layer contains a shape I drew using the pen tool and I added some layer effects. Any suggestions on what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks

MIke

Since I saw your question as the first hit on google and an answer as the second hit...
    I thought I might unite them

sounds like youve selected an individual channel rather than a layer...goto the channels palette..they should all be highlighted, not just one.

Quote Originally Posted by mlkedave View Post
    I keep getting a pop up that reads
    whenever I try to move the content of one of my layers. The layer contains a shape I drew using the pen tool and I added some layer effects. Any suggestions on what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks

MIke

Sometimes to highlight all the channels it's a little tricky, I think you have either to toggle the eye icon on each channel and THEN make sure the RGB/CMYK channel (topmost) is selected

You need to untick 'edit in quick mask mode' in the 'select' menu. This will unlock your layers

I was researching how to fix this issue and stumbled on this. Excellent info all, it really helped.

i think the layer is hidden.. see the layer if it has an eye on the left side on it

DjC4
    n/a

Thank you

I just wanted to say Thank You! I have been using Photoshop for almost a decade, and for some reason had no idea to check this setting. I was about to cry. Thank you.

dirkjan
    n/a

Thanks!

Thanks for the edit-in-quick-mask-suggestion! I was totally stuck and overlooked that little sucker... Frustration: be gone! ;-)

the_bluegator
    n/a

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ffruu View Post
    You need to untick 'edit in quick mask mode' in the 'select' menu. This will unlock your layers
    super helpful and simple answer

O my god.. I thought I will have to start from the begining

Quote Originally Posted by ffruu View Post
    THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!! O my god.. I thought I will have to start from the begining.. Little simple check of the box messed everything up... You are a star!!!!!! Thank you!!!

Thread Information