The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: php, DNS question

Hybrid View

php, DNS question

Ok, this is about as clear as mud to me so I'll do my best to make the question sound intelligent. The company I just created a flash page for has a mail form that, when you click the Submit button does
    loadVariablesNum("contact.php", 0, POST). Now, everything works fine when I submit the form from my site because I changed the DNS information. My domain name is registered with register.com and my Web host is iPowerweb.com. So my DNS info is something like ns1.ipowerdns.com.

The company, however, refuses to change their name server info to their Web hosting company because they say they won't have as much control. So the form doesn't work because something isn't routed properly. Anyone have any suggestions?

home cooking is killing the restaurant industry
    Quote Originally Posted by vman
    Ok, this is about as clear as mud to me so I'll do my best to make the question sound intelligent. The company I just created a flash page for has a mail form that, when you click the Submit button does
    loadVariablesNum("contact.php", 0, POST). Now, everything works fine when I submit the form from my site because I changed the DNS information. My domain name is registered with register.com and my Web host is iPowerweb.com. So my DNS info is something like ns1.ipowerdns.com.

The company, however, refuses to change their name server info to their Web hosting company because they say they won't have as much control. So the form doesn't work because something isn't routed properly. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Couldn't you find out where the domain is pointing to and then submitting it by IP? That ought to circumvent any DNS problems
    There are only 10 kinds of people in this world:
    Those that might know ternary, those that do, and those that don't
    Say NO to DRM.

Couldn't you find out where the domain is pointing to and then submitting it by IP? That ought to circumvent any DNS problems
    This is my first form creation. Would you mind giving me an example of what you mean. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    <?php

$to = "me@mydomain.com";

$msg = "Name: $Namefield\n";

$msg .= "Title: $Title\n";

$msg .= "Company: $Company\n";

$msg .= "Address: $Address\n $City, $State $Zip\n";

$msg .= "Phone: $Phone\n\n";

$msg .= "Email: $Email\n\n";

$msg .= "I am interested in:\n\n";

$msg .= "Conveyor? $conveyor\n\n";

$msg .= "Dock Equipment? $dequip\n\n";

$msg .= "Pallet Rack? $prack\n\n";

$msg .= "Flow Rack? $frack\n\n";

$msg .= "Mezzanines? $mezzanine\n\n";

$msg .= "Lifts? $lift\n\n";

$msg .= "Rack Repair? $rr\n\n";

$msg .= "Training? $training\n\n";

$msg .= "Safety Audit? $safety\n\n";

$msg .= "System Audit? $system\n\n";

$msg .= "Comments: \n$Comments\n";

mail($to, $subject, $msg, "From: $Namefield - $Company\nReply-To: $Email\n");

?>

prstudio
    n/a
    I don't see where you are calling up the variables from the form data you submitted?

_POST or _REQUEST ?

This is the action on the Submit button:

loadVariablesNum("contact.php", 0, "POST");

prstudio
    n/a
    you need to call it in your php script as well.

example:

$message = $_POST["message"];
    or
    $message = $_REQUEST["message'];

The form works perfectly the way I have it if I submit it from my personal domain. I switched my name server info to my Web hosting service. Now the site is uploaded to the company's domain and they don't want to switch their name server information. So now, when you click the submit button, it never actually gets sent anywhere, it just ends up in cyber limbo. They tried updating their MX records and so forth, but nothing seems to be working. I'm starting to think that they'll have to break down and just change their name server info and have their new Web hosting company handle their mail. I'm not sure what the big deal is. If they do that, it'll work fine.

prstudio
    n/a
    Maybe I'm having a real slow day- I'm at work soo lol.

But this is what I heard.

It works on my domain- I switched my name server to my webhost...

Now the site is uploaded to the webhost's server and they won't change their nameserver information to match yours from your own domain.

this confuses me - "and have their new Web hosting company handle their mail."

I was following and then that last line ...was like what the...

typically - if you have a domain name with name server information - and you switch to a new hosting company - you NEED and WILL switch to their name server info - its just part of it.

to change their information to route to your old nameserver information would be too much to ask...

not trying to argue you - just not clear with how you worded -

OK, It's my fault I'm not explaining myself well enough, but I do believe you understand. The company (we'll call them "company x") I did the site for has their domain name registered with buydomains.com. buydomains.com is handling their mail. They now have a new Web hosting company called IXWebhosting or something like that. IXWebhosting is telling "company x" that they have to switch their current name server information with buydomains.com to IXWebhostings name server information. Example from ns1.buydomaindns.com to ns1.ixwebdns.com. Company x doesn't want to do that because they feel they have more control over things the way it is right now. So, what I'm asking is, is there any way around this? If they DO it the easy way and just change their name servers, the form will submit just fine. The way their mail is currently set up it doesn't work. Is that any clearer?

Oh, and when I said it works fine on my domain, I was just stating that that is because I did it the right way and switched my name server info along time ago to my Web Hosting company's info. I've been testing the site on my own personal domain until it was finished and it worked fine.

prstudio
    n/a
    ahhhh!!! yes much clearer - that and its almost time to go home haha.

You are right in your methods.
    Is changing the name servers not apart of the account settings at buydomains?
    If not that is poor service.

You could try routing to IP as was suggested then.
    Other than that - buydomains is just being used to put a name to an IP - I don't see what "control" they are after...

Is changing the name servers not apart of the account settings at buydomains?
    Sure it is, but Company X doesn't want to change anything there because they want control to make changes to things (IPs and stuff I guess) without the hassle of going through the new Web hosting company. IXWebhosting won't doing anything unless Company X (the company I did the Web site for) changes the name servers to have them handle the mail.

Couldn't you find out where the domain is pointing to and then submit it by IP? That ought to circumvent any DNS problems
    I'm not sure what this means. Change the php script? or change the AS on the Submit button? Or something else.

I believe they tried routing to IP by changing the MX records, but that didn't work either.

I think I'm giving up on this. It's their problem. I showed them that it works fine when they view the site from my domain. It just irritates me, that's all.

Thread Information