Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: 2D Side view shooter - Where can I find a good tutorial to get started?

Hybrid View

2D Side view shooter - Where can I find a good tutorial to get started?

I'm planning on doing a 2D side view shooter (metal slug style) in Flash but I honestly don't know where to start.
    Does anyone know where I can get some good tutorials to start off?
    Thanks in advance.

I have Flash MX 2004 Pro btw...

I can help! My AIM is freakazoid642! How good are you at AS? Do you want an example? Here:

Hmm, I don't have AIM...
    Well, I'm kind of new to AS, I just know the basic stuff to create some flash cartoon movies but I learn fast, that's why I want a tutorial.
    Thanks anyway.

Ok...
    I'll probably whip up a (Flash) tutorial. In the meantime, I would check out www.flashkit.com for game tuts. (No offense kirupa )

I've been looking around and found some useful things.
    I know how to make a character go left, right, up and down but how can I make a character change the image when I go left or right? To simplifie: When character is NOT moving then animation "standing.png" and when character is moving then this animation "waling.png". How can I do this?
    Thanks in advance.

Your using "LoadMovie"? Dont. Use gotoAndStop with movie clips inside movie clips. Liek theres a mainchar movie clip, and on frame 1 theres stop(); and then on frame 2, theres the walkin anim and so on. then u cud say
    if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)){
    this._xscale = 100;
    this.gotoAndStop(2);
    }else {
    this.gotoAndStop(1);
    }

Got it to work, thanks!

Your welcome! Need any more help? Like shooting?

I'll need help on shooting but I'll leave that for later. If I need anything I'll post
    Thanks again!

Hmm, I can't get the gun shooting animation (just the animation, no shooting anything yet, just sound) working correctly.
    I have the gun bitmap as a movie clip with the following frames inside:
    Frame 1 - Plain gun bitmap with stop action
    Frame 2 - Gun with little yellow thing at the end (just to look like its firing) and shot sound streaming.
    I can't seem to get the sound to play, and the gun just stays with the yellow thing, it doesn't return to the normal postion.
    This is what I have in the movie clip actions:

onClipEvent (keyDown) {
    if (Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)) {
    this.gotoAndStop(2);
    } else {
    this.gotoAndStop(1);
    }
    }

Any help?

try putting the shooting "animation" into its own MC liek i xplained earlier.

Hmm, it works now, I changed the 'gotoAndStop' commands to 'gotoAndPlay'.
    Now the only problem is holding the fire key, I can't get the fire to repeat at a certain point. Since it's a machine gun and the shoot sound is one bullet at a time, the sound must repeat about half way through the full sound for a correct rate of fire, I can't really explain it so if you don't understand there's no way I can explain better.
    Btw, I don't understand the MC inside MC thing, could you explain better?
    Thanks.

And another quick thing, how do I set the action for the left mouse button instead of space, left arrow key, etc.?

for mouse:

on(mouseDown) {
    //shooting crap
    }
    onClipEvent(load) {
    this.startDrag(true);
    }

id appretiate your appretiation

Oh, yes, sorry!
    Lol, thanks!

Thread Information